There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust

IT is on the verge of being hated among the bank due to outscoring and finger pointing....

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - IT Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Diversity, many great programs for professionals who are like minded. Yearly trainings in other subject matters. In the heart of downtown.

Cons

Extremely high in corporate politics, very resistant to change when new ideas are brought to the table. Must follow chain of command when you question anything. Pay and bonus are average or below market. A lot of "Damned if you do, and your damned if you don't" moments.

Allow the youth within company to grow and leverage processes for better efficiency. C level executives say one thing but middle management will not allow subordinates to challenge current processes or incorporate new ideas to drive performance.

reviews filtered by
  1. If you are considering a contract position, please be advised.

I worked at Northern Trust

Pros

Many of the team with whom you work are very competent and enthusiastic about the work which they do.

Cons

Contractors are considered mere commodities. While all potential Contractors know that the reason they are hired is to fulfill an immediate need, there is a difference between coming into a busy department, and coming into a department where the work has been back-logged over several months. In addition to that backlog, add the assignments for which you were originally hired. Some (not all) management can sometimes be verbally abusive because you are, again, a mere commodity. You are put in a position, by that verbal abuse, as well as your own professional awareness and eagerness to do a good job, that you must put in unpaid time in order to get the job done. Overtime is rarely available, yet you feel obligated to stay beyond your scheduled shift, and are pressured to stay, by that abusive behavior, and the overwhelming amount of work which needs to be done.

Overall, a good organization with good people.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northern Trust full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance

Great People
 Very Professional
    Good Benefits

Cons

I enjoyed my time with Northern Trust. It was a company which I had hoped I could stay and grow with over the years. My concern is with the management team and how matters were handled. Many times I did not feel supported and in the end, my concerns were realized.

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust