Northern Virginia Community College

www.nvcc.edu
  www.nvcc.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Northern Virginia Community College

Good place to work and study

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College

Pros

Everyone teaches you... you learn from every angle

Cons

Some positions are very rigid, and there is very little room for creativity.

Sometimes, there are things that work well, but can work better.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Northern Virginia Community College (View Most Recent)

Would not be my first choice

Current Employee - Professor in Annandale, VA
    Current Employee - Professor in Annandale, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College

Pros

Working with students is inherently rewarding. The benefits are good.

Cons

This organization is a huge bureaucracy which leads to lots of frustration. Each department has a singular focus without much regard to how their work impacts other departments. Plan on lots of headaches with everything from getting a parking pass to getting paid to getting into your classroom. There is little accountability so the employees as a group are a mixed bag. I agree with a previous poster that the school has gone to such extremes trying to promote minorities that whites are at somewhat of a disadvantage when competing for promotions. The school is working on its PR and you will receive many emails about how this is one of the best community colleges. However, reviews of empirical measures (graduation rate, salaries) would not lead one to a similar conclusion. The school is despirate for adjunct faculty and they will let anyone with a heartbeat teach as an adjunct. Morale is poor due to newer employees earning higher salaries than people who have worked for the college for 10-20+ years.

I would reccomend exploring ways to increase the accountability of employees. I would also reccomend addressing the significant salary regression if you want to improve morale.

Serious managment problems and low morale.

Current Employee - Counselor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College

Pros

Great benefits (for faculty), good work/life balance, working with students is rewarding

Cons

Morale is very poor, this is the type of place where you do not need to do work if you do not want to, it is basically impossible to get fired. It is frustrating to see others earning the same pay doing little. Conversely there is not any reward for working hard, when there are raises they go to everyone equally or go to which ever job groups are most underpaid, they do not have anything to do with individual performance. Raises are so infrequent that new employees are often paid more than people who have been working at NOVA for 10 or 20 years which further impacts morale. Did I mention salarys are very low for northern VA. HS teachers are much better paid than teaching faculty here. Montgomery College also pays much better an average of about 10k more per year for teaching faculty. Before working here I would suggest going to one of the campuses and talking to a few employees.

More competitive salaries, consistent raises, merit based rewards

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Virginia Community College