Northrop is a great work-life technology company that affords personal and professional development opportunities.

Current Employee - Engineer V  in  Redondo Beach, CA
Current Employee - Engineer V in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Northrop is a great place to work because they care about your long term career development. A phrase I have heard many times is, "although you will have many different roles in your career, Northrop seeks to give you all those roles within the company." This is a cool concept, and speaks to the flavor of career development offered here. The second primary reason to work at Northrop is because it is a company that works in technology but offers a real work-life balance. The minimum workweek is about 40 hours, but you can work about 45-50 and be a superstar. Every other Friday is 'off' and it is not considered improper to be out of the office. Without detailing a massive post, these two reasons represent my favorite things about Northrop.

Cons

The company has a older school mentality about tenure and promotion. I have not been held down by this, but I expect to in the future. The company does not focus enough on one's ability to achieve, and instead focuses on how many hours you log. This is born out of our reliance on government contracts, which measure costs in hours, and thus all baseline measures are based on that. Also, because the company has over 100,000 employees through ~50 acquisitions over the last 25 years, it is really difficult to get things done quickly. It can be frustrating, but is unavoidable to some degree at this size company.

I would recommend we adopt more incentivized performance plans for engineers at every level. I would also recommend not giving pay raises to those who under perform. There are many people around collecting lots of money to not be particularly productive or pleasant to work with.

Other Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Work for NG when you're young and get out when they are unwilling to support personal goals

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Guaranteed that your job won't be sent off-shore

Cons

Having a security clearance seems to hamper your life

TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING!

NGC is a good place to work for with good benefits.

Current Employee - Engineer T3  in  Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer T3 in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

- It's not a very stressful job and the educational benefits are great...100% tuitiion reimbursement

Cons

-Too much red tape to get around

-They should keep the employees better informed about the state of the company or the contract that is being worked on.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!