There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Northrop is a great work-life technology company that affords personal and professional development opportunities.

Current Employee - Engineer V in Redondo Beach, CA
Current Employee - Engineer V in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Northrop is a great place to work because they care about your long term career development. A phrase I have heard many times is, "although you will have many different roles in your career, Northrop seeks to give you all those roles within the company." This is a cool concept, and speaks to the flavor of career development offered here. The second primary reason to work at Northrop is because it is a company that works in technology but offers a real work-life balance. The minimum workweek is about 40 hours, but you can work about 45-50 and be a superstar. Every other Friday is 'off' and it is not considered improper to be out of the office. Without detailing a massive post, these two reasons represent my favorite things about Northrop.

Cons

The company has a older school mentality about tenure and promotion. I have not been held down by this, but I expect to in the future. The company does not focus enough on one's ability to achieve, and instead focuses on how many hours you log. This is born out of our reliance on government contracts, which measure costs in hours, and thus all baseline measures are based on that. Also, because the company has over 100,000 employees through ~50 acquisitions over the last 25 years, it is really difficult to get things done quickly. It can be frustrating, but is unavoidable to some degree at this size company.

I would recommend we adopt more incentivized performance plans for engineers at every level. I would also recommend not giving pay raises to those who under perform. There are many people around collecting lots of money to not be particularly productive or pleasant to work with.

reviews filtered by
  1. Work for NG when you're young and get out when they are unwilling to support personal goals

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Guaranteed that your job won't be sent off-shore

Cons

Having a security clearance seems to hamper your life

TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING!

2. A solid engineering job if you can deal with the inefficiencies

Current Employee - Test Engineer I in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer I in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Once you cut through the red tape the work is generally satisfying.

Cons

It can be amazingly difficult to cut through the red tape and actually get to the work. The processes we use can also be pretty ridiculous and wasteful, but I imagine to some extent that comes with the industry. Opportunities for real advancement also seem few and far between but to be fair I have been with the company a relatively short amount of time so I certainly can't speak definitively.

Process improvement. Being a government contractor leads to sloppiness that you couldn't get away with if you weren't the only game in town. I find it hard to believe that we can't build these ships any cheaper.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman