There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Lots of red tape, but otherwise a good day to day experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Work flexibility (ability to telecommute)

Cons

Bureaucracy. Too much red tape really makes working here a hassle.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I learned a lot, but there was very little training.

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Working for a defense contractor, especially a major powerhouse like NGC, comes with extremely interesting work. I loved the people I worked with as well. They were extremely helpful with dealing with suppliers, adjusting to SAP, and with letting me rant about workplace politics. The HR department was also great about helping with general questions, such as where things were, who to contact for certain questions, etc. The 9/80 schedule was perfect for an internship as well.

Cons

Zero relocation was offered. I understand that it was an internship, but when two of its major competitors, Boeing and Lockheed Martin, both offer some sort of relocation for the majority of their interns, it's difficult to justify choosing NGC over either of those two companies if one has the option. It also took me a week for basic computer access and another three weeks for internet access due to the extreme levels of security. In essence, those were some of the most boring weeks of my life.

Advice to Management

Offer some relocation for your interns. I know the majority of them live in Illinois, but you're limiting yourselves and the internship program by not showing willingness to go the extra mile for the intern. Also, specifically in the purchasing building, start focusing on new hires/interns. The majority of the building I can see retiring in the next 5-10 years, so unless a major hiring/knowledge sharing initiative is started soon, the purchasing side of the site is going to suffer.

Great Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Flexible Schedules - They Would Bend Over Backwards To Allow Employees To Be Off For Appointments, Deaths, Moving, Etc.
    Cared About The Welfare Of Their Employees

Cons

Corporate Very Secretive About Company Or Division Status
    Benefits Administered Through 3rd Party
    Payroll Problems Common & Hard To Get Fixed
    Total Failure To Move Employees To Other Contracts When One Ended

Advice to Management

Northrop Grumman Top Corporate Levels Need To Share More With The Regular Workers At The Lowest Levels So That Everyone Is Informed Of The Company's Status. Technical Support Division Sends Total Idiots To Bid For New Business - Use The "Boots On The Ground" Folks That Know Who To Talk To And How Things Run To Get New Business Started.