Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com
  www.northropgrumman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

The company has declined badly and now focuses on shareholder profits, with no job security for technical people.

Current Employee - Software Development Lead in Vienna, VA
Current Employee - Software Development Lead in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

- There are some cool projects to work on. My current project is great and is the only reason I am still with the company.
- Pay seems to be competitive with other large companies like Northrop Grumman.

Cons

- The company has changed from having a long-term focus and developing its employees as a vital resource to just hiring and firing whoever they need for a project. There is no job security and you will be laid off as soon as your project is complete.
- The benefits used to be okay, but the company is cutting our benefits (like paid vacation) to save money. This is disturbing since the company is profitable and the senior officers are paid millions of dollars a year, while the actual engineers are treated worse each year.
- It's become difficult to get money or other resources to do research or pursue technology that might benefit a customer. The company doesn't invest much in research anymore.
- The company has become less agile over the last few years and now it's almost impossible to get a computer that's ideal for your work needs or to get permission to install needed software like VMware Workstation. The IT and other departments now make their own jobs easier at the expense of those of us who actually do the engineering work for our customers.

My immediate management is competent and caring. The levels above that, all the way to the top, appear to be either unsure what to do or concerned only with saving their jobs and profiting themselves and the shareholders. No one I know feels valued by the company and we all know we can be laid off at a moment's notice no matter how exceptional we are.

Northrop Grumman has a toxic work environment. Many of the best people n my operating unit have already left and more are leaving soon. I am still with the company only because I like working on my current team and doing great things for our customers, and my colleagues feel the same way. If our project ends, we will all move to new companies.

This is a challenging time for Northrop Grumman, but the senior management's approach to improving the company's profitability has driven away most of the most talented engineers in my operating unit and those of us left will leave if/when our project ends. I'm not sure how to fix this situation, but I can tell you that reducing benefits and making it harder to do our jobs with increasing bureaucracy is not the way forward. Also not helpful is the fact that when you moved the headquarters from California to Virginia, you paid (or overpaid) all the expenses of senior management, who already make millions of dollars a year. When a great engineer sees that the senior management makes ridiculous amounts of money to make dubious decisions, and that the future of Northrop Grumman depends entirely on questionable forces out of his control, he begins to look elsewhere. The Engagement surveys are also a slap in the face of the line workers. It should be obvious why people are becoming less engaged over time and having managerial work groups will not improve the situation.

1832 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Good job with good benefits and salary.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beale AFB, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beale AFB, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Above average salary
    Pretty flexible schedule. I am able to make my own schedule most of the time.
    Good employees to work with
    Good Management
    Fun

Cons

No room to promote in the job I am in
    Inappropriate hiring techniques
    Not always fair promotions
    Sometimes late hours/overtime

Good Company to gain experience and build a career

Current Employee - IT in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - IT in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Good Company to work for
    Salary is fair
    Benefits are very good

Cons

Communication is slow or too-late
    no recognition for work well-done
    Be careful about getting "pigeon-holed" into a position with no chance of advancement.
    they try to back-end shift-pay into your base salary amount

Start listening to employee concerns. Talk to employees more(in your charge) and promote career advancement rather than always trying to flatten the organization
    Allow employees to advance their careers by moving around to gain more experience in other areas which will benefit them and the company

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman