Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

It's a proud company but very slow moving and "old school."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

-Great benefits. Full medical, dental, and vision. I think my dental plan will pay up to 2k for orthodontic work and my vision will pay about the same towards lasic. We also get the option for legal insurance as well
-You're doing work that matters to the world. I work on a 500 million dollar satellite that will detect missile launches. t's pretty cool that they trust and allow me to work with something so important.
-High sense of pride among the employees. Most people who work here are proud of what they do and the company in general.
-Co-workers are generally friendly and willing to help you.
-Almost everyone is smart, and motivated. Not a lot of slouches around the company.

Cons

-Salary increases are 3-6% per year. You look for a pay "grade" increase in this industry.
-Older population. They're hiring a lot of younger people now, but most around here are 40-60 years old. Leads to a generation gap.
-knowledge transfer is hard. You have to really work to engage the older guys to give you the information you need to get your job done. The older guys are quite often very busy so you can only get so much time speaking with them before they tell you to "go read the manual."
-It's a big company. Sometimes you feel like you can get lost in the place. You definitely have to work at making yourself stand out.
-Bureaucracy is high. Got to get a lot of people to agree before a small or simple test can be performed.
-It's a defense engineering company, so you will be working around a lot of former and current military, and engineers. These people are all very nice, but not the most dynamic personalities. I've made a few good friends, but for the most part, I'm not interested in hanging out with these people outside of work.
-We have our fast and slow times, but generally, it's not as fast-paced as the computer or electronic industries that an engineer could work for.

Work on improving training and knowledge transfer. A lot of young people want to get more knowledge and support out of the older the older guys.

1901 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

A PLACE WITH A MISSION

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

The Integrated Systems Sector is probably one of the better business units in which to work. That's probably because it was one of the original "legacy"Northrop entities i.e.Northrop Aircraft. So despite it's growth still maintains a small company atmosphere. Employees are treated with rspect for the most part and there is a definite "sense of mission"

Cons

Since the company follows a pretty "lean" approach to staffing, there are fewer promotional opportunities. Plus,we win very technically demanding programs but since we're always operating with a capable but shallow bench ,early phases of program are especially difficult while we are ramping up staffing activity.Senior management is averse to telcommuting (unlike neighboring Space Technology Sector). That may change in next year or so in order to stay competitive in the south bay Aerospace arena.

Push sector executives to embrace concept of a virtual distributed work force. Don't fight it.

Northrop is a great work-life technology company that affords personal and professional development opportunities.

Current Employee - Engineer V in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer V in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Northrop is a great place to work because they care about your long term career development. A phrase I have heard many times is, "although you will have many different roles in your career, Northrop seeks to give you all those roles within the company." This is a cool concept, and speaks to the flavor of career development offered here. The second primary reason to work at Northrop is because it is a company that works in technology but offers a real work-life balance. The minimum workweek is about 40 hours, but you can work about 45-50 and be a superstar. Every other Friday is 'off' and it is not considered improper to be out of the office. Without detailing a massive post, these two reasons represent my favorite things about Northrop.

Cons

The company has a older school mentality about tenure and promotion. I have not been held down by this, but I expect to in the future. The company does not focus enough on one's ability to achieve, and instead focuses on how many hours you log. This is born out of our reliance on government contracts, which measure costs in hours, and thus all baseline measures are based on that. Also, because the company has over 100,000 employees through ~50 acquisitions over the last 25 years, it is really difficult to get things done quickly. It can be frustrating, but is unavoidable to some degree at this size company.

I would recommend we adopt more incentivized performance plans for engineers at every level. I would also recommend not giving pay raises to those who under perform. There are many people around collecting lots of money to not be particularly productive or pleasant to work with.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman