Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com
  www.northropgrumman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

It's a proud company but very slow moving and "old school."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

-Great benefits. Full medical, dental, and vision. I think my dental plan will pay up to 2k for orthodontic work and my vision will pay about the same towards lasic. We also get the option for legal insurance as well
-You're doing work that matters to the world. I work on a 500 million dollar satellite that will detect missile launches. t's pretty cool that they trust and allow me to work with something so important.
-High sense of pride among the employees. Most people who work here are proud of what they do and the company in general.
-Co-workers are generally friendly and willing to help you.
-Almost everyone is smart, and motivated. Not a lot of slouches around the company.

Cons

-Salary increases are 3-6% per year. You look for a pay "grade" increase in this industry.
-Older population. They're hiring a lot of younger people now, but most around here are 40-60 years old. Leads to a generation gap.
-knowledge transfer is hard. You have to really work to engage the older guys to give you the information you need to get your job done. The older guys are quite often very busy so you can only get so much time speaking with them before they tell you to "go read the manual."
-It's a big company. Sometimes you feel like you can get lost in the place. You definitely have to work at making yourself stand out.
-Bureaucracy is high. Got to get a lot of people to agree before a small or simple test can be performed.
-It's a defense engineering company, so you will be working around a lot of former and current military, and engineers. These people are all very nice, but not the most dynamic personalities. I've made a few good friends, but for the most part, I'm not interested in hanging out with these people outside of work.
-We have our fast and slow times, but generally, it's not as fast-paced as the computer or electronic industries that an engineer could work for.

Work on improving training and knowledge transfer. A lot of young people want to get more knowledge and support out of the older the older guys.

1829 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Missed opportunities to achieve fantastic things

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Program Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Program Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

1. Good reputation in general. Mostly because of high visibility of federal and defense contracting accomplishments.
    2. Travel was integral part of my job, and travel accounting was fairly efficient and timely.
    3. Excellent technology applied internally to timekeeping, accounting, information access, etc.

Cons

1. My position and telework arrangement allowed me a lot of flexibility in how I used my time, but was poorly understood and not supported by senior staff.
    2. Time commitments are extreme with little or no consideration of personal/ family commitments, and absolutely NO appreciation for the sacrifices.
    3. Little or no information sharing, collaborative approach to problem solving, etc.
    4. Extremely viscious competition within the organization for prestige and advancement, very poor internal culture that rewards sycophants and diminishes coordination and collaboration.
    5. Very POOR professional development program. Although a very visible part of annual review processes, no support for accomplishing the goals outlined in the review plan. In fact, generally next evel management placed more impediments to acchieving the goals than options/ support for accomplishing them.

In general, not the policies of the company, just the result of poor mid and mid-upper level management.

Pay more attention to position promotions and management reviews. Reward good management and establish a better culture supporting personal and professional development. Invest some money back into the organization..

Compensation needs to be revisited.

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I actually like the work I do! Northrop Grumman supports our troops!

Cons

I work 440 + hours that I don't get paid for or compensated not to mention that I do not get compensated for the level of work that I do.

A real look needs to be taken at compensation, when gov and competitors compensate more there is a problem with our compensation scheme. We could keep a lot of great employees on the book if they were compensated.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman