There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

It's a proud company but very slow moving and "old school."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

-Great benefits. Full medical, dental, and vision. I think my dental plan will pay up to 2k for orthodontic work and my vision will pay about the same towards lasic. We also get the option for legal insurance as well -You're doing work that matters to the world. I work on a 500 million dollar satellite that will detect missile launches. t's pretty cool that they trust and allow me to work with something so important. -High sense of pride among the employees. Most people who work here are proud of what they do and the company in general. -Co-workers are generally friendly and willing to help you. -Almost everyone is smart, and motivated. Not a lot of slouches around the company.

Cons

-Salary increases are 3-6% per year. You look for a pay "grade" increase in this industry. -Older population. They're hiring a lot of younger people now, but most around here are 40-60 years old. Leads to a generation gap. -knowledge transfer is hard. You have to really work to engage the older guys to give you the information you need to get your job done. The older guys are quite often very busy so you can only get so much time speaking with them before they tell you to "go read the manual." -It's a big company. Sometimes you feel like you can get lost in the place. You definitely have to work at making yourself stand out. -Bureaucracy is high. Got to get a lot of people to agree before a small or simple test can be performed. -It's a defense engineering company, so you will be working around a lot of former and current military, and engineers. These people are all very nice, but not the most dynamic personalities. I've made a few good friends, but for the most part, I'm not interested in hanging out with these people outside of work. -We have our fast and slow times, but generally, it's not as fast-paced as the computer or electronic industries that an engineer could work for.

Advice to Management

Work on improving training and knowledge transfer. A lot of young people want to get more knowledge and support out of the older the older guys.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Northrop Grumman is a good, stable company.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

This company has better benefits than other companies I have worked for and its rock solid stability in these hard economic times is a strong testament to how well managed it is. The site where I work is awesome in that there is great cooperation between team members and local management. We are treated and respected like the professionals we are. The flexible 9/80 work schedule that we're offered, where we're able to take every other Friday off ,is fantastic.

Cons

The management style of some of the business and program managers is very old school in that they are reluctant to try anything new. This is not the place to be if you want to be on the cutting edge. They also expect employees to willingly put in at least an hour or two of unpaid overtime each pay period as evidence that they are interested in contributing to the success of the company. When they make major adjustments to role assignments, they tend not to ask the impacted employees for their input.

Advice to Management

Get more involved in your employees' career aspirations and be sensitive to what their strengths and weaknesses are. Don't try to force square pegs into round holes by assigning roles on the basis of simply needing a body somewhere. It's not enough to just know what your employees' skill sets are. Know the kind of work environments they are suited for, too.

Great benefits.

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Lebanon, VA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Lebanon, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Excellent benefits package coupled with an environment that could present many opportunities.

Cons

Very little communication from management. Career advancement seems hard to obtain. Opportunities seem to be based on personal relationships rather than on performance or achievement. Goals are not clearly defined and one is often left wondering whether they are performing at a satisfactory level. The Help Desk Analyst position is a good starting position but the opportunity to grow beyond this position seems very limited. No clear path to advancement is presented and management rarely if ever provides feedback or guidance related to performance. Doesn't seem to be the place for those who have great expectations.

Advice to Management

More feedback and assistance with career advancement