There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

New Fresh ideas are required, Good old boys network needs to be dismantled.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
Current Employee - Program Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

NGC as a company might be ok, not this location

Cons

too many to list - good old boys network is very powerful- professional growth is restircted by this group who is not competent to lead 21 st century work force.

Dismantle myopic out of touch, 7th centrury mind set good old boys network. These middle managers have no competence, and subsequently are good at sabotaging efficient ideas which could result in significant savings of tax payers money

1798 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Northrop Grumman provides valuable resources for our Nation's defense.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

They provide very valuable support to the troops and are always engaged in missions that matter to the Defense Department. You have enormous opportunities to work just about any where in the world because of the size and scope of the company.

Cons

Difficult getting truth to power. Much of the middle management is entrenched and will filter information before it can get to decision makers. Many middle managers are required to find billable hours so are less available to provide management support than other large companies I have seen. Infrastructure is not adequate to support a very flat organization, so you are forced to managed in an out of date style.

Find other ways of receiving information other than just through your management team. You have a very talented workforce but your management techniques are from the past.

It's a proud company but very slow moving and "old school."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

-Great benefits. Full medical, dental, and vision. I think my dental plan will pay up to 2k for orthodontic work and my vision will pay about the same towards lasic. We also get the option for legal insurance as well
    -You're doing work that matters to the world. I work on a 500 million dollar satellite that will detect missile launches. t's pretty cool that they trust and allow me to work with something so important.
    -High sense of pride among the employees. Most people who work here are proud of what they do and the company in general.
    -Co-workers are generally friendly and willing to help you.
    -Almost everyone is smart, and motivated. Not a lot of slouches around the company.

Cons

-Salary increases are 3-6% per year. You look for a pay "grade" increase in this industry.
    -Older population. They're hiring a lot of younger people now, but most around here are 40-60 years old. Leads to a generation gap.
    -knowledge transfer is hard. You have to really work to engage the older guys to give you the information you need to get your job done. The older guys are quite often very busy so you can only get so much time speaking with them before they tell you to "go read the manual."
    -It's a big company. Sometimes you feel like you can get lost in the place. You definitely have to work at making yourself stand out.
    -Bureaucracy is high. Got to get a lot of people to agree before a small or simple test can be performed.
    -It's a defense engineering company, so you will be working around a lot of former and current military, and engineers. These people are all very nice, but not the most dynamic personalities. I've made a few good friends, but for the most part, I'm not interested in hanging out with these people outside of work.
    -We have our fast and slow times, but generally, it's not as fast-paced as the computer or electronic industries that an engineer could work for.

Work on improving training and knowledge transfer. A lot of young people want to get more knowledge and support out of the older the older guys.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman