There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

A good place to work, but only if you like a layer of incompetency

Current Employee - Modeling and Simulations Lead in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Modeling and Simulations Lead in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

- Benefits are fantastic
- Regular travel - it might only be to a satellite office, but I travel at least twice a month
- 401k Match
- A lot of internal mentorship programs

Cons

- Middle management is a joke as a whole - filled with people who don't have management / leadership skills or are not technically competent do to their job. Occasional quality individuals, but overall mediocre or worse.
- Unwillingness to cut the fat - when people are not performing, let the bottom fall out.
- Lack of technological solutions - we rarely utilize recent / new technology and by doing so, this leaves us behind the power curve
- Poor job with requirements management - very weak systems engineering / requirement management / configuration management / data management / program integration / data quality / subcontractor management
- Data silos are rampant - we do not integrate at all

Listen to lower level personnel and remove poor performing / incompetent, middle management. Hold people up to standards, and if they perform well, reward them (better), if they don't consistently, let them go - treating high performers and low performers relatively similar in terms of compensation / benefits - does not bode well for morale and motivation for keeping high performers. This only reinforces a perception of a lack of willingness to act to fix things on the part of the company.

Focus on the data. We talk about people and processes, but now we need to move into the true "gold mine" of the company - data, but we can't do anything with it because a) we don't have it, b) it's not integrated, c) it's poor quality, or d) we're not even aware we need it. While we possess talented people and robust and test processes, we have been late to the game with data, and now that has become the critical path. We need better external and internal data management to give our customers, both internal and external as well, a thorough and insightful analysis. Also acknowledge that while SAP will close a lot of the gaps, it will not be able to fix all the functional chasms - we are unfairly relying on it to do so.

Pushback on HR for promotions and advancement - functional management should have more say in allowing for quicker career advancement / greater compensation than HR generally allows.

We are a 20th century company doing work in the 21st century. We have companies like Facebook and Google where young people make decisions of equal or greater weight in terms of cost / schedule / risk / technical judgment as we do, but we exclude younger workers from these discussions as a whole at NGC. While it is right to emphasize the wisdom of older generations, it is hubris to assume that age is equivalent to greater skill / knowledge / wisdom. The quality of work performed, not the longevity of a career, be the deciding factor.

I stay mainly out of loyalty to my hiring manager (one of the good managers) and faith that new restructuring in NGC will include some of the things I listed above. I have faith in senior management, at the business area level, functionally, sector, and corporate, but any level below that, I do not.

reviews filtered by
  1. Ok place to be in a recession

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

As a large company, Northrop generally has good benefits. The work hours are flexible as long as the work gets accomplished.

Cons

Most adavancement opportunities require a move to the east coast. There seems to be a lack of accountability for performance in upper management. Some directors and abouve seems to be able to survive regardless of how poorly they perform.

Pick a direction and stick with it, too many partiually completed irad projects
    Diversify into international markets
    Look for commercial applications of technology

flight sciences engr

Former Employee - Flight Sciences Eng in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Flight Sciences Eng in San Diego, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good salary, good location, good weather in SD

Cons

incopetent management . Too many warped egos in the white male dominated culture

leave the politics at the door

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman