Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding a decent place to work

Current Employee - Cost Control Analyst in Newport News, VA
Current Employee - Cost Control Analyst in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding, overall, is a stable place to work. As the sole provider of nuclear powered aircraft carriers, there is a relatively fair sense of stability at the company. Unless you mischarge your time, goof off on the computer (big brother does watch), or just don’t show up, you are pretty safe in assuming you are not going to be let go. As one of the largest private employers in the state, any layoffs are going to be bad – real bad, on the local economy. Local and state elected officials are always going to bat for the shipyard to maintain the employment level.

The company is becoming increasingly more flexible in their work-life balance. This is especially true since the merger with Northrop Grumman about 6-7 years ago.

Cons

Unless you get a good manager, you are not going to move up through the ranks. You will get a promotion once you meet the HR guidelines, but you really need to know someone and push for it get move up into management. Pay is, by far, less than similar fields. While the company has made great strides to improve work-life balance, there is still room for improvement. Overtime is often and required.

The most popular or son/brother/cousin/etc. of a current manager does not automatically make a good manager. Look within your ranks to find someone with true leadership potential.

1862 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Great place to work and grow.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I think one of the best reasons for me personally is my being involved in many early developmental stages for a wide spectrum of products. Also, with their flex time system having a Friday off every other week makes me wonder how I'll ever work without it.

Cons

It is very bureaucratic and things tend to trickle down or up a long way before anything actually gets resolved, accomplished, etc. But I think because of its nature, things are very systematic and you're never standing still wondering what the next step is since there is procedures and guidelines to everything, though that may be both a good and bad thing.

Be more open minded.

Learn to be a King, but dont stay too long.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Lots of opportunities to find internal jobs, though not neccesarily any easier to obtain than the outside world unless you have connections. Good place to network and learn how things are done the right way. Opportunities for mentorship abound for junior engineers.

Cons

You are truly more of a number compared to smaller companies. Decisions made at a senior management level dont neccesarily reflect or support the smaller department goals. Getting additional money for R&D, infrastructure, can be very difficult.

Provide better transparency, reward successful groups by allowing them to grow and support long term growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman