Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Great at bringing up new engineers and giving them opportunities to explore.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Professional Development Program allows new employees just entering the workforce from college to rotate through several positions and familiarize themselves with the company. Salaries are competitive, and the Baltimore area has a lot of opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

Some parts of the company have been experiencing flat growth or contraction in the last few years. There is considerable uncertainty over where the defense industry is headed in the near future.

Provide as many opportunities for training and growth as possible, especially for young professionals.

1903 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Good career, good people, good pay& benefits

Current Employee - CAD/CAM Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - CAD/CAM Engineer in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are into defense the product & technology can wow you. For most departments it's a tight knit group. You can joke around with people, when it's appropriate. The work is often enjoyable. Informal name, usually just first names unless it's a common name, so many Joes, Johns & Jim's. Many of this generations executive management started at entry level, the do understand your job & the job difficulties.

Cons

Too many reorg's & renamed department titles. Sometimes processes & procedures are too much red-tape leaving you frustrated. Sound exhibition of The Peter Principle. More than a few employees work well into retirement and bogs down upward mobility. Sometimes it's hard to affect change because 'that's the way we have always done it.'. Too often the news that there was record profit for the term is followed by an announcement that raises will be lower that year. In a blizzard teams will work to clear the parking lots & announce that it is open, if you can't get it it is vacation & not a plant shutdown paid disaster. Lots of overtime to keep on schedule.

Don't hold the all hands meeting in the summer. The hangar is too hot. Demote the incompetent Peter Principal & adjust their pay appropriately. It may be ok if they leave for wage stagnation, that money should go to the people doing that persons job.

Insane

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The group of people I worked with, including my managers, were amazing. Together we beat many challenges, and I learned a whole heck of a lot. The opportunities to dig really deep into technical problems abound. I loved this aspect of the job.

Cons

There is a phenomenal amount of institutional mismanagement at this company - perhaps in the whole of Defense. Management spends so much of its time satisfying every whim of the customer and the government that they don't have time to correct deficiencies that prevent engineers from performing even the simplest tasks. For example, instead of correcting licensing issues the team was asked to work in shifts (that often spanned days) so that we didn't have idle engineers. There is no thought about improving efficiency, it's all about following a process and keeping your nose down. It's really sad to see such an opportunity for greatness squandered.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman