Northrop Grumman

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Review go NGC

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career advancement opportunities, benefits, flex work option

Cons

Some organizational silos exist, high pressure situations

1862 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Great people, but suffers from being an enormous company

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I can only speak for a small part (~10,000 employees) of NG. In my experience, I worked with really great personalities on my day-to-day tasks. This goes really far, Northrop has some terrific people. I also feel that the workplace flexibility was terrific, specifically in the areas of flexing your time and having a good vacation accrual rate.

Cons

It is a big company afraid of innovative investments. Much of the work currently being done is a re-spin of existing programs. You are subject to the highly uncertain congressional funding environment for the big ticket programs, which during periods of pain can mean protracted layoffs and lack of career mobility. This is more an industry problem, rather than NG specific.

Find a way to fund innovative research by smart engineers in the trenches. The corporate environment is currently too risk averse and purse-string tight. The alternative is to acquire all innovations, in which case bright engineers will be jumping ship looking for such start-ups.

It's good if you have a family...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job. Good benefits if you have a family. Pay might be below the rest of the big defense contractors, but it's a good stable job.

Cons

If you're young and you're a software engineer, I would recommend not working here. If you love to code and love to work with the newest technologies, DO NOT WORK HERE. Northrop is great if you like the government culture of a 9-5 job, but if you're like me who loves to code, I would not recommend this place as a starting job out of college. The people here are nice, but they don't know what it means to explore and research new technologies. NG is more of a systems integrator IMHO. Because they are bound by contracts, gov't clients are very slow and don't understand what software is. They only care about buzzwords like "Cloud," "Big Data", "OpenSource," but they don't know what they mean.

Overall, if you're young and you're a developer, I would not recommend working at any defense contractor. If you want to know what it's like to work for a startup or any other commercial company, then you should DO IT.

If you have a family and want a stable job, I would recommend this place. It's 9-5 and within my group the people here are nice.

Don't be so stuck on government. Explore what's out there. The west coast is doing SO many great things in Silicon Valley. That's cutting edge. Look elsewhere since the government is in a huge deficit.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman