There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Screw UP and MOVE UP!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flex time; benefits, even if we keep paying more for them each year; end of year shutdown, the employees (non-management).

Cons

Too many layers of management, the majority of whom are unethical, unknowledgable, and unfair. Most get promoted into management because they are friends of another manager, and most failed at their jobs, hence the NGC motto of SCREW UP AND MOVE UP! Discrimination runs rampant . Raises and bonuses are abysmal, unless you are in management or favored by a manager. HR is only there to cover up management's many screw ups. The annual review process is a joke! Very little job satisfaction.

Step down, we don't need layers on layers of managment. If NGC really wants to increase shareholder value - lose at least 2 layers of management - they are redundant. We have VP's and directors for everything, in addition to 3-4 layers of management. Instead of laying-off employees to increase profit, chop management in 1/2 and use their HUGE annual bonuses/salaries to increase profit. Also, contract out HR so they are not in management's back pocket...HR does not help the employees at all.

1745 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

If you're in, you're golden. If not..........

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Strong company financially, good benefits

Cons

Lots of long term cowardly employees who will do anything to protect each other and railroad you out if you don't play their game. The company is too big to function with any common sense. Everything is done in the most ridiculous and counter-intuitive manner possible. People above you are not sharp, it's just that they have managed not to screw up in any meaningful way for several years.

Be fair with people. don't value people who make you FEEL good over people who are actually good.

Great people, but suffers from being an enormous company

Current Employee - Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I can only speak for a small part (~10,000 employees) of NG. In my experience, I worked with really great personalities on my day-to-day tasks. This goes really far, Northrop has some terrific people. I also feel that the workplace flexibility was terrific, specifically in the areas of flexing your time and having a good vacation accrual rate.

Cons

It is a big company afraid of innovative investments. Much of the work currently being done is a re-spin of existing programs. You are subject to the highly uncertain congressional funding environment for the big ticket programs, which during periods of pain can mean protracted layoffs and lack of career mobility. This is more an industry problem, rather than NG specific.

Find a way to fund innovative research by smart engineers in the trenches. The corporate environment is currently too risk averse and purse-string tight. The alternative is to acquire all innovations, in which case bright engineers will be jumping ship looking for such start-ups.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!