Northrop Grumman
3.4 of 5 1,506 reviews
careers.northropgrumman.com Falls Church, VA 5000+ Employees

A good place to start a career but a lot of luck is necessary to reach the best programs and upper echelon.

Software Engineer II (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than a year

ProsAs a large company it provides various opportunities for engineers early in their careers to try out different roles and a position that fits with both their strengths and personality. The company is involved in full life-cycle product development from inception to customer delivery to maintenance so it is possible to participate in multiple stages of a product's path to creation.

Those who perform well and aggressively seek out opportunities can find a rewarding career at Northrop. Once you exit the company it is a large and known company on your resume to point to in future interviews.

ConsAccess to the best opportunities requires a combination of luck and ninja networking tactics to get noticed by senior engineers or program managers.
Top performers who are not vocal about their career aspirations can find themselves stuck on a project and with a depressed salary.
Performance reviews are administered by a manager that meets with you at most twice a year. The review manager is a different individual then the employee's direct supervisor (likely an engineer) and program manager. The advancement process can seem slow and linear to the ambitious but this is common in most large corporations and not specific to Northrop.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the process for approval of research projects and submission for outside publication. The performance review process should be administered by a direct supervisor of the employee. A manager that meets with an employee once or twice a year is likely not in a position to recognize or advocate for top talent.

Modify the advancement process for engineers so title and pay is tied more towards performance, ability, and future prospects than to class year and graduate degrees.

Reduce the layers of management and bureaucracy between the engineers and senior management.

Good inital job but not a long term career place

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Technically challenging work Good mentoring available Good people to work with, no… Cons: Minimal career growth. Easy to get pigeonholed Worst working environment I've seen. One large bull pen for 200+ engineers makes it very difficult to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A good place to work..if you know what to do

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros: Lots of opportunities to develop and grow within the company. Cons: You need to be responsible for your own career. Don't… Advice to Senior Management: Help your employees develop, grow, and move--keep them at the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Northrop Grumman.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northrop Grumman CEO Wesley G. Bush. All reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees.