Compensation

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some of the best and brilliant minds in the business.

Cons

Raises over the last few years have been extremely weak, and have not kept up with inflation.

Advice to Management

I realize it is important to take care of the stock holders and upper management, but we also need to make sure lower level workers are taking care of as well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Actual Results May Vary

Former Employee - Software Engineer III
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits - health, 401k Generally good pay and compensation - as always, depends on the manager Flexible time (unofficially) Compassionate - accommodates an aged workforce - will never fire (only lay-offs) Assigned tasks are really easy and simple Nice co-workers If you've got drive and lots initiative, you can do well by working hard and most importantly doing other people's work or doing work that others didn't think could be done. Just make sure to take credit.

Cons

Extreme lack of technical expertise- can't emphasize this enough. For every 3 engineers that are knowledgeable will be 7 utterly clueless bodies with the same title and pay-grade. You'll need to be diligent to stay current with modern technologies on your own time. Based on legacy/obsolete technologies - error prone, bad software tools - rate of productivity is slow Culture is generally devoid of any sense of accountability relating to the progress of the overall product. For example, system engineers can create requirements that don't make sense... all that matters is that they wrote words to describe a capability. System engineers and testers do not have working knowledge of modern operating systems Amazing hierarchy of managers - allows for a large body of middle managers that is prone to information mix-ups/spins. Lack of technical expertise in managers fuels fear of change. Process-heavy, i.e. lots of meaningless paperwork, suffers chronically from well-known pitfalls of the waterfall process Don't be fooled. Making weapon systems doesn't mean it's cutting-edge. The hardest part of the job is effectively communicating technical issues/solutions to non-technical engineers

2. Good entry level job but very bureaucratic company

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

People were very friendly and willing to help me with anything. Management allowed me to experiment and make an impact on the project I was working on.

Cons

Work is sometimes very slow and there was a lot of self-learning involved. Average age of employees there was about 30 years older than myself, so not many people to relate to.