Incompetent Management, No incentive for Out-performer,

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9/80 schedule
telework once or twice a week for those who live far away

Cons

*Incompetent management
- - They try to come up with all kinds of metrics to measure your work, but the metrics do not accurately measure your performance or justify your existense, and therefore, annual review not necessarily reflects the truth
-- I've worked under different managers through out the years, more than half of them have don't care attitude and out of touch with the employees

*Morale / work ethnic
-- Some employees are not motivated to do work. Maybe due to low annual raise and incompetent management
-- Sometimes even out performers feel unmotivated and discouraged because of incompetent management and low incentive

*Lower pay rate for software engineer comparing to the market rate in California

*Reduce benefits from here and there every year. They even discontinue providing bottle drinking water and just install crappy filter in the drinking fountain. Yes, it gets to that cheap.

*CEO got 26 million dollar salary in 2011 while laid off a bunch of people in past few years.

Advice to Management

The only way to find out who is doing the work is by talking to your employees in person, finding out what they are working on. Not by simply looking at the numbers!!!
Show appreciation to hard working, motivated, talented employees or they will go elsewhere.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Everything you expect from a big corporation

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The manager I have is nice. Do not work at corporate so do not have any contact with the suits.

Cons

Raises below inflation, even for high performers. Raises tied to mythological predictions of poor culture performance of the company, which never match what stockholders are told, and never pan out as the company still rakes it in. Benefits keep dropping. Ridiculous culture where upper management tries to tell engineers that they care, are diverse and other ridiculous ideas while they cut benefits and do not even try to keep up with inflation on raises. Layoff culture. Upper management received obscene benefits and pay packages and reorganizes routinely to increase their pay. And they conduct "anonymous" surveys which are mandatory and not really anonymous. It's really just a big Dilbert strip.

Advice to Management

Engineers are not that dumb. $$ speaks.

2. Short and uneventful

Former Employee - Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay as I was still in high school. Hours were flexible. I basically came and went as I wanted, but didn't accomplish much in the end.

Cons

Supervisor didn't really know what he wanted me to do. Had me accomplish several small projects that were a bit boring. In the end, I learned that this was not what I wanted to do. I was the only intern.

Advice to Management

Try to have more interns and assign them certain projects.