There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Great company with people who car about what they do, but it can be improved.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Falls Church, VA
Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Competitive pay and excellent benefits, including flexible work arrangements for many people (9/80, 4/10, WFH). 2. Exposure to interesting cutting edge engineering technologies. 3. People who care a lot about their mission to help protect warfighters. 4. Lots of opportunities for advancement. 6. Good work life balance.

Cons

1. Lots of meetings that don't seem to have a purpose. 2. Ineffective managers and staff are often coddled. These individuals are not fired and often are not even confronted for their inappropriate behavior. 3. Very hierarchical organization. Although "open door" is promoted, using it is not likely to get you the outcome you desire. 4. Some areas of the company are understaffed.

Advice to Management

1. Weed out the poor performers. 2. Hire more young people. NG needs to do a better job of marketing itself to college students. Most college students today are concerned about finding a job when they graduate, and NG has many jobs to offer IF students obtain the right degree. These students already have a leg up because of US citizenship requirements for employment in the defense industry, but they don't know it. We need to reach out to them and let them know there's a great chance of a job at NG if they get the needed skills.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a good base pay salary decent benefits

Cons

funding problems bad working environment hard to grow work is boring

Sad, Just Sad To Watch It Decline

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great! So far I've got 20 years in - still have to work another 20 for full retirement (if they don't can the pension plan for employees) Great place to work if you don't want to think!

Cons

Top Heavy - *VP's and Directors for everything in Aerospace Systems Sector (yes, they named a whole sector ASS). Too much management to get anything done. *Everytime there is a problem NGC re-orgs - all they really do is stir managers around. *In order to increase profit margin, NGC has been slowly squeezing the employees dry, reducing our bene's, when they should reduce the amount of management and their Enormous bonuses. *Discrimination and retaliation are a problem in So Ca, primarily at the Palmdale facility (I'm white and I see it all the time, I have complained numerous times - nobdoy helps or addresses it). *Promotions only for those in the clique - and if you voice an opinion, any opinion, that differs from mgt - you are out of the clique. *HR is extremely ineffective - they are just CYA for management

Advice to Management

The fact that NOBODY in upper management realized, pointed out, or stopped you from re-naming a whole sector ASS, pretty much says it all! All stars below should be 1's, but as a statistician, I realize the top and bottom scores are usually tossed out of the averages - wanted my dissatisfaction to count for something.