Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Great company with people who car about what they do, but it can be improved.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Falls Church, VA
Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Competitive pay and excellent benefits, including flexible work arrangements for many people (9/80, 4/10, WFH).
2. Exposure to interesting cutting edge engineering technologies.
3. People who care a lot about their mission to help protect warfighters.
4. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
6. Good work life balance.

Cons

1. Lots of meetings that don't seem to have a purpose.
2. Ineffective managers and staff are often coddled. These individuals are not fired and often are not even confronted for their inappropriate behavior.
3. Very hierarchical organization. Although "open door" is promoted, using it is not likely to get you the outcome you desire.
4. Some areas of the company are understaffed.

1. Weed out the poor performers.
2. Hire more young people. NG needs to do a better job of marketing itself to college students. Most college students today are concerned about finding a job when they graduate, and NG has many jobs to offer IF students obtain the right degree. These students already have a leg up because of US citizenship requirements for employment in the defense industry, but they don't know it. We need to reach out to them and let them know there's a great chance of a job at NG if they get the needed skills.

1903 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Project Manager

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can get off for family affairs if and when you need to....
    You get to work as many hours over 40 as you would like with no extra pay, no problem!!
    You get to use spreadsheets like toilet paper. You get real good at those.

Cons

If I had another job I would not continue to keep this one as the economy is still not good as we all are aware. This company talks out of both sides of their mouth at best. They only promote the same small circle of people around in circles, make up new job names and move them around. If you don't have a brown nose you will go no where regardless of your skill or experience level. They break ever rule in the book when it comes to employment law. Salary or exempt they work you what ever way suits the purpose. I have not seen my manager in 6 weeks which is normal. He hardly ever calls you much less supports you if you have an issue. If you report a problem about the atmosphere or work habits then you are not a team player. The raises are less than 1% a year for the last several years no matter what your evals says even good evals get hardly anything. They think 60 hours a week is 40 for some reason. Am I just being bitter no this is the opinion of many of my co-workers except many never heard of glass door to post their opinions. They could really be a stellar organization if they would open their ears and eyes. They have a yearly gallop survey that reports the same bad news every year but does nothing to improve the situation. We then have big meetings saying how good we are doing and the stock is great but the money never sifts down to the worker bees. If you are young and impressed by the name come on aboard. if you want a real career that means something and a company that values your opinion then don't waste your time here. You will be disappointed but in Richmond VA they have the run of the town and the only other major player is capital one where they lay you off after 23 months and 29 days. Here we sit come on aboard if you wanna!!

Stop wasting time with the stupid gallop poles and all those stupid engagement summits. They are pointless as everyone is scared to speak up because they fear being fired if they do.

Good Company - Challenging time in Aerospace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging Engineering Assignments with Good Benefits and Training

Cons

Current focus on cost reduction due to decline in government aerospace spending

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman