There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Electronics Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to move up quickly or across multiple programs because the company likes to use its resources to their full potential.

Cons

The only cons that I have seen is the difficulty cutting through the bureaucracy that can short circuit a project as it is getting off the ground.

1793 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Don't think about it unless you are starving to death

Current Employee - Systems Engineer T6 in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer T6 in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If your ambitions revolve around mindless process, loafing, disregard for customer satisfaction and pandering to questionable values then Northrop Grumman is the right place to work.

Cons

If you are a junior employee the company freely admits you are underpaid. New out of school hires are now getting competitive offers given the company was unable to hire, but out of cycle adjustments are still not forthcoming those already compressed.

But on the other hand if you are in your late 40's or early 50's there is a different story where raises were zeroed out two years ago and the probability of future promotion is near zero. No secret, you are told your career is over. Over 30% of directors were demoted into management or technical grades over the past two years.

With regards to promotions they fall into several classes. Time in grade, who you know or the need for "management" to satisfy a diversity goal. In other words positive job performance contributes little towards a promotion. On the other hand poor job performance is used to justify rotating out of position, demotion or reapplication for a position as a means of diversifying NGC's job force.

You might ask what drives executive management (actually anyone with Annual Incentive Program - AIP)? Stock price is the answer and executive management is not afraid to tell everyone that the Federal Government is no longer our focus, it's Wall Street. So much for supporting our country.

With the issues cited you might ask what is happening with the talent pool withing NGC? Leaving as fast as the job market will permit is the answer. What is left is an increasingly toxic and hostile environment driven by politically opportunistic individuals. It is common place for projects to totally fail but NGC has an answer. Blame the process and go forth to fix it thus creating additional process that any sane employee would dismisses as nothing more than a shield for a broken organization.

You might be thinking that these comments are isolated to a single department, site or sector of Northrop Grumman. With visibility across sectors it is clear that Northrop Grumman as a whole is very similar. In this Northrop Grumman's corporate office accomplished its goal of unifying the operations of the corporation.

Nothing. You are doing a great job on pushing my NGC stock value up while I simply sit back and retire in place, even if I have to make up an excuse now an then to the real customer.

Middle Management needs a shakeup

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work was decent and interesting. They also allow a 9/80 schedule which is a big plus! Pay is decent.

Cons

Seniority over attitude. Policy consistently result in the best and brightest leaving (e.g. requiring relocation across the country, only seriously considering the opinions of the grey beards)

Middle management, in my experience is extremely lacking in this technology company. This is across the spectrum from technological understanding to work practices. For instances it's commonly acceptable for management to make statements like "I really don't understand this, its for the smart people to understand" in regards to basic technology concepts like ethernet or Linux. Management also values working overtime and doing nothing higher then working 8 hours and accomplishing task. The more hours you sit at your desk, there is just an assumption that your actually doing more. There is also no vision or risk taking whatsoever and this costs the company overall in loss of contracts due to stagnation. Middle management also cannot identify key people and skill levels of the employees.

I will say though, that this is my experience at one location, other sectors and locations may or may not be different.

Take some chances, not just on technology but people. Consider promoting based on merit, enthusiasm and ideas rather then just years in service.

Also work harder to retain good people. I've seen some great people leave due to lack of opportunity. Some of these people cannot be replaced and can be extremely productive.

Constant cuts to benefits are a clear signal to employees to look elsewhere. Management should address this to retain good employees

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman