There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Goog benefit with pension plans

Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert Level V in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert Level V in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Comparing to most employers, NG has a very good benefit package, which includes two pension plans. Vacation days start from 17 and employees gain 1 additional day every two years.

Cons

Big overhead, of course. This is a large company.

Advice to Management

Reduce overhead

reviews filtered by

Overall a good company

Current Employee - Software Development Analyst I in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Software Development Analyst I in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The managers I have had are very flexible. They allow everyone in software development to work from home 2 days a week and don't mind you working from home if you or a close family member is sick. 6 weeks until I went on maternity leave, my boss called me and told me that he would allow me to work from home until I delivery my baby. I live an hour away from the facility so that was very nice of him.

My workload is as I choose it to be. I can take on as many projects as I have time for. There are also a lot of opportunities to gain lead experience or to move over to admin or database work. If you want to go back to school or take up a certification, the company will pay $15K per year in my sector. I really like working for this company.

Cons

They aren't upfront about pay so you don't know if you are being paid fairly or not. There are also secret bonuses that certain people get offered discretely. Lastly, promotions are kept quiet. There are some level 2s and 3s that will only list Software Development Analyst on emails and such. Because pay isn't published, you don't really know how to plan your career path.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but please let HR know we would like salary information so that we can better determine our career paths.

2. It is what you make it.

Current Employee - Project Management I in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Project Management I in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

We live, work, and play super close to the beach.

The salary let's you live reasonably well, just watch those non-discretionary bills like happy hours, cable/internet, and of course: eating out.

Northrop Grumman has been around for many years, and has acquired numerous companies throughout it's history: One day you're working with a new grad, the next you're with someone who built a Space Shuttle in Palmdale, or a military test pilot from New York!

There is no shortage of uber-smart people around.

Cons

Huge age gap, which the entire Aerospace/defense industry is trying to address before it becomes dire.

There's still people printing documents, signing them, scanning them, and then sending it thru email - we build satellites for Pete's sake!

The cute girls are few and far between - you can check out the beach/soccer mom's in Manhattan Beach though!

Advice to Management

Flow down more information, let us know more about the "big picture."

Or just tell us about how you got to your position, what other chances could you have explored AND why did you not?

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman