Did a pretty good job at integrating with military--everyone worked together pretty well

Former Employee - Network Security Analyst  in  Mannheim (Germany)
Former Employee - Network Security Analyst in Mannheim (Germany)

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I worked with a lot of great people, both with NG and the military folks we worked with. There were a few not-so-great people, but overall it was an excellent work environment.

Cons

I did feel a bit separated from the company, since the people I worked directly for were either military or government civilian.

May be good to get more involved, but then again maybe things work as well as they did because you weren't!

Other Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Opportunities are good. However, it seems as though you might have to stay within the company a lot of years to get goi

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

A lot of opportunities to grow within and lunch your professional life. I felt that management cared and was interested in helping me achieve my career goals.

Cons

Remuneration is not the best, nor any perks per say. I wanted to do some different training in the middle of the year, but had no budget (?)

Find ways to keep the employees excited with incentives. Also, there are more fields then just engineering....so be competitive as far as salary and bonuses

Dilbert Land, OMG!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

NGC has a relaxed work environment. Working from home is not frowned upon, depending on your location. The pay is as average to good for the Defense Industry, though they seem to use this against you as you advance in seniority. Recent layoffs were heavily weighted to the senior software staff. (NGC categorizes its SW Engineers. from 1-7. In a 2009 lay off 80% came from the 4-7, 57% from the 5-7 category). NGC benefits have been been better than average, but this is changing at the end of this year (2009). Vacation was reduced about 40 hours for senior staff and medical insurance is getting worse, more expensive and more bureaucratic. Its not a bad place to work but everything is dependent on your project and division.

Cons

Its not a bad place to work but everything is dependent on your project and division. If you are considering NGC ask your interviewer if they are a matrix organization. This is the only structure in NGC I would recommend. Otherwise when your project is over NGC only gives you two weeks to find another job. That's their policy, regardless of your loyalty to the company. If you are looking for a career with NGC, then you need to be in Herndon, VA., or on the West Coast. If you are not in one of their centers there is little opportunity for career growth. They are a large company that has gobbled up lots of smaller companies and they just haven't learned how to work together, or help each other. Everything is dependent on your project and regardless of how good a project may be, eventually it will end and you will be looking for work. I've worked for two other large Defense contractors and moved or left programs previously and still feel fondly towards those companies. NGC is not a place I am proud to be associated with.

Your constant theme is "Employee's are our strength", but your constant emails about VP assignments are a joke. It's way past time your actions backed up theme.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!