There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman Changed My Life by Otea Leonard

Former Employee - Product Trainer III in Chantilly, VA
Former Employee - Product Trainer III in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, Team Oriented, Pay Well, and leadership is known to everyone. No one Northrop Employee is lesser than the other. As Product Trainer III on AHLTA II; I was able to work between Alabama's Redstone Arsenal and Fort Rucker and was very highly respected as a Northrop Employee; despite having crossed over from Integic Corporation.

Cons

Cannot remember cons of Northrop. I have gone on to hold technology patents and so much more since having left Northrop Grumman. However, if you're on a contract, beware. Lay off's came yet I was one who was proactive and had already planned my exit in order to prepare for attending Harvard University. However, despite security concerns; I still believe my co-workers should have been told to prepare for layoff's. Regulations allowed this due to the small number of employees there were to be laid off. Not enough to warrant early notification apparently. This was unfair. Then again, such is life.

Please consider an 'Explorer' type program that potential stellar candidates as well as students may take a peek at Northrop from the Inside. Internships are a commitment and many are just curious. Possibly more live interaction as opposed to online sources. Job fairs and internsips are merely a start! Was last at Northrop in 2006.

1789 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Wonderful company to work for

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Good benefits, smart, intelligent workforce

Cons

Defense business in the decline

So much disappointment and frustration after four years in engineering at Northrop – Rolling Meadows.

Former Employee - Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on some fascinating technology.

Opportunity to do some real hands-on engineering work.

Cons

There is entirely too much management at this company. There are Engineering Project Managers, Program Managers, Logistics Program Managers, Engineering Functional Managers, the list goes on. There is an overabundance of people trying to direct the work, and never enough people who are actually doing the work.

Engineering Supervision (Engineering Functional Management) is almost completely broken. These people are the direct supervisors of the engineering staff, and have an outsize effect on the quality of work coming from the engineering organization. And yet, they are consistently staffed with people who are duplicitous, incapable of critical thought, and unwilling to stand up for their people.

The constant push for more diversity has gone completely out of control. People are hired not because of their skills, but because of their gender or race. Unqualified people are promoted up the ranks in order to fill a diversity quota. It’s maddening how much this occurs, and incredibly frustrating.

Compared to other defense contractors, there is a very small number of military veterans working here. This is true at both the worker-level, and in the management ranks. Military experience isn’t valued. Very strange for the defense industry.

Programs and projects are always in a state of chaos. The only way things ever get done is via last-minute scrambles. Management treats this as the norm, and the “way things have always been done.” Efforts to institute some semblance of planning always fall on deaf ears.

For the past couple years, there has been a significant trend in engineering staff. People start here early in their careers, many fresh out of school. They start very motivated and dedicated, but after 3-5 years, they all leave for elsewhere, bitter and jaded from the experience.

For the past 10-15 years, we’ve enjoyed a virtual flood of money from the Pentagon and our allies. It didn’t matter if we treated people poorly, had ineffective management, bloated staff, or any other ills. The money just kept coming, no matter how poorly things were run.

The flood is over. The flow of money is slowing to a trickle. And now all of the poor decisions of the past decade are being laid bare. You let a lot of engineering talent walk out the door. You promoted a lot of the wrong people. You’re left with this incredibly dysfunctional organization, that’s now going have to fight tooth and nail for every defense dollar.

You need to start looking at how the company is going to survive the next 10-15 years. I’d start by taking a good long, hard look at all of the people you have in engineering functional management positions. Relative to the size of the company, engineering functional management is a small number of people. But this small group of people has an incredibly outsized impact on how programs are run, and ultimately how successful the company is.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman