There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

My work was challanging and rewarding working for Northrop Grumman

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

I was able to learned the latest technology in my field of work.

Cons

Working with very bright co-workers it was a challenge to get promotions.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for management.

reviews filtered by
  1. Interesting work, great engineers, but it's a large corporation

Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very dedicated engineering and technical staff. Many of the technologies are interesting, and there are opportunities to do good engineering work to make improvements to the programs. Most front line managers truly care for their employees, with flexible work hours, time off for family etc. Salaries are good, benefits are ok, though slowly eroding.

Cons

Upper management is completely beholden to the bottom line. The corporation wants to pay stock dividends each quarter, and upper management will do anything they can to make that happen. From a career advancement standpoint, it can be very difficult to advance in some areas of the company. This can be very frustration, especially when you see other equally (or lesser) qualified people one or two rungs up from you. Many managers are reluctant to promote qualified people. From an engineering standpoint, it can be very difficult to advance new ideas that aren't directly tied to a current program and provide cost savings. Internal R+D is usually alotted to a chosen few. In the end, it can be hard to break through professionally.

Advice to Management

Promotions and performance reviews should at least be consistent within a department and a group. Push engagement, especially from mid level managers. They should be getting more interaction with the engineers. Provide lots of opportunities for professional development.

2. Great Benefits, Great People

Former Employee - Executive Assistant
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exceptionally good benefits. I was fortunate to work with some really nice people as well. Team driven.

Cons

It's a defense contracting business. USED to be a very secure place to work, but with budget cuts, be ready to jump to another contractor. Unfortunately, that's the state of the industry, not the company. I would still be there if it weren't for government cutbacks.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees on top of contract status as best you can so they can be prepared.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman