Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Run-of-the-mill large defense contractor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoy practically all the people I work with. Benefits are pretty good for older employees, but for new hires, they have stopped offering pensions. 10 paid holidays, plus PTO. Most of my bosses have also been great to work for, that makes all the difference. Since its such a large company, if you are not happy with your current assignment, there are opportunities to move to a different area. Education is reimbursed. Flexible work hours, including telecommuting. I am happy with my compensation, not that I would turn down a raise.

Cons

Its a large bureaucracy, so expect anything to new to happen at a glacier pace. Like most companies, favoritism and nepotism abound. Lately (the last few years or so) corporate has decided that every part of the company needs to have exactly the same benefits and tools for performance reviews and so forth; the "one NG" policy. Lately, even though the company has done well, very little of that trickles down to the low level employees.

Walk around by yourself (sans an entourage) and meet and talk with the people who work for you - it will make a great impression that you actually care about them as people, and not just numbers.

1905 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team environment where everyone is working together to complete a common goal.

Cons

Depending upon the business unit you are assigned to there can be alot of unpaid overtime.

As part of the bid process allow more time between tasks because your employees burn-out very quickly with all the tight timelines.

Interesting work, good work-life balance, so-so compensation, nepotism/OBN

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting international projects and customers, opportunities to break out of the DoD rut. Innovative programs to improve work-life balance, especially 9/80 work weeks. Bright, motivated colleagues at all professional levels. Actively promotes continuing education and training. Making energetic efforts to increase diversity.

Cons

So-so compensation: maximum salary in my position is the starting salary (!!!) for an equivalent civil service position. Apart from new-hires, there seems to be no career development plan for many positions, and the ruts get deeper as years pass. Promotions often appear to be based on nepotism and the Old Boy Network more than merit. Accounting abuses employees' credit when their required to travel. Many managers have trouble focussing beyond their next bonus period. Bonuses and raises for workers are very few and far between, if at all...

Create some sort of credible career development plans; HR is asleep at the wheel. Don't be so chintzy with the workers who make you successful--share the success in compensation and bonuses, etc. Take a hard look at nepotism in hiring and promotions. We workers are proud to be NG employees and are proud of our corporate success but often feel ‘dissed by managers and executives. Share the success.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman