There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Beware if you weren't referred by someone already there - Keep your Resume active!

Former Employee - Windows Administrator in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Windows Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

The pay was competitive, The manager (SH) is competent and has been in the role a long time.

Cons

Lots of nepotism, the deputy managers and leads are very aggressive. The leads don't seem competent in the area they are leading. No communication, you have to research everything yourself. There are cliques and brown-nosing is a must to receive good increases. Too many different teams and I was often finding out information about my team from cross-talk from people outside the team. The constant change of work-order/pay codes gave an increasing sense of disorganization - at one point forcing employees to leave an area with one day notice because their contract expired.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know the job, and who know how to manage and not lead by fear and intimidation

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A safe place to make a living.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

NG has a worldwide presence, so relocating and moving between projects is very possible. Employees who are laid off due to projects ending are typically able to find work elsewhere within the company.

Cons

Large and disorganized company. There is little to know repeatability or knowledge sharing. Like all government contractors, the goal is to bill for bodies, the quality is a secondary concern. This is not a problem that affects NG only, ALL government contractors are like this.

Advice to Management

Share knowledge between projects. Build a company-wide skills center and make all projects start there.

Good job, not a bad company, but definitely not software minded.

Current Employee - Engineer I in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Good Benefits! Its also a job! Got a clearance! I work on a smei boring job here in Melbourne, but I have heard other places as working on some state of the art activities. Melbourne location is for support of JSTARS and Tanker which isn't a drag, but it isn't innovative.

Cons

Very little advancement. Sit in a cube all day. Management doesn't listen to its grunts. Takes a long time to start using new technology. We aren't even using IE 7 yet and IE 8 is about to be released. We are still using SQL Server 2000, when 2005 has been released for 3 years now. We are not on the cutting edge at all.

Advice to Management

If your a software company, start giving perks like a software company does!