Northrop Grumman

Aerospace Artist

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Graphic Artist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

The projects are always different.

Cons

Too many administrative tasks. Inter charging is a mess.

Manage. Your suboordinates shouldn't be over whelmed with administrative tasks. Productivity lessens when people are performing too many tasks outside of their job classification.

1965 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Lot of Experienced people (average age is 48 to 49), well Managed but very political, with little opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

-Has one of the better if not best run Business Management and IT Groups in the whole company. They are better run than 3 other large/medium size companies I have worked for.
    - Pretty good salary and benefits.
    - Good place to start out at due to mature processes, and management/tracking tools. One is able to see how very complex process work fairly well, and learn a lot of Good PM, Finance, Software, Purchasing, Contract, and Engineering methods/processes.
    - Very well managed R&D projects. They tend to perform on below budget (there are exceptions).
    - If you know how, can learn a lot by talking with a lot of very experienced personal who are everywhere.
    -Lot of cool R&D projects going on all the time. If you are an Engineer, long hours but interesting work in many cases.

Cons

- Since a lot of Cost-Plus jobs little incentive to cut cost especially since this would decrease the profit margins.
    - To specialized, tend to get stuck in one highly specialized job for a long time.
     - Little opportunity for lateral movement unless you are part of the 5% of people on the inside (unless you move out of State).
    - Difficult to try new things, and present information in a new way or new information because of the mature processes, and culture. People do not like to shake things up or change unless it is from above.
    - Due to the above reasons hard to learn thru experience. Have to learn by talk and observation.
    - Highly political, a lot of B.S. trying to massage the message and data to Top Level executives, also Top Executives to the employees (little content to the message). HR communication is some of the biggest BS I have ever read in my life. Example: 500 words on new organization, that after I have read it I am still clueless at to anything they do.
    - To get Salary increase you need to quite then come back (fairly typical in Corporate America I think)
    - HR group worthless in almost all functions, act like big brother, very command and control.

- Business Magament Directors/V.P.'s need to do a better job level loading the work load, then they would not need as many people. Hard, but a lot of ways to go about it.
    - Annoying trying to find something to do, partly due to to many people, but mostly do to not being allowed to try new things.

The excuses you do not have time to listen to people at the bottom because they do not understand the big picture hurts a lot. Wade thru the Levels of B.S. done by management changing the data/message or get really smart people you can trust to do this (not advancing their promotion well being) so as to tell you the truth no matter what). You would get a lot better ideas and ways to improve things and employees would be a lot more stratified.

Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems - A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I like the vision "To be the leader in preserving freedom and advancing discovery by providing our customers with innovative and affordable integrated air, space and ground solutions". The Senior Management team does an excellent job in driving the performance of the Sector. We have a tremendously bright future with many emerging opportunities on many exciting programs.

Cons

As a large company there is a tendency to be too bureaucratic in portions of the sector. But this is not the case in all areas.

All Levels of management need to spend time to mentor the newer employess in the Sector. They are our future. Management needs to get out from behind their desk and interface with the employees more than they do today.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman