Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

NGES is an excellent place to work, and rewarding for the folks who work hardest.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

* Rotational development program (PDP) lets new employees discover where they fit
* The best people inevitably rise to the top, although sometimes with a few bumps and hurdles
* The technical staff are truly leaders in many engineering fields - electrical, mechanical, systems, materials, etc.
* There are lots of different programs and areas in which to work, so there are lots of opportunities
* Management has really been working hard on work/life balance issues over the last few years

Cons

* The large size of NGC and the nature of the defense business create a huge bureaucracy, and swimming through it can be frustrating
* Delays and limits in security processing and clearances can result in times when you have to work without important information or just do busywork until you are cleared to do real work
* There is an incredible amount of specialization in certain areas, so you may get stuck working in a very narrow field for a long time

* Maintain the inertia on work/life balances issues - 9/80 Fridays and the new employee gym have been welcome changes
* Continue to find, nurture, and promote people who excel
* Try to find a good way to balance knowledge transfer and annoyance of senior technical people - they are wary of getting involved with constantly changing programs for mentoring and knowledge capture. Find a way to make it work for them, as well as the mentees.

1966 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Over Managed

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Great peer support and and employee desire to succeed. Very good work ethic. Techical staff better than other defense contractors I have worked for. Great campus.

Cons

Constant management re-shuffling with ZERO accountability for failure. Director and above status guaranteed for life. CEO complains of poor financial performance relative to peers, yet permits stacks of new and uneeded levels of executive management. Only at NG can a VP report to a VP who reports to a VP - for no reason other than they made it into the club.

Wes - stop complaining about bad financials. It all starts at the top. Try holding the leadership that got us there accountable for a change. Start with the idiots who advocated SAP.

It's okay....not long term

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I worked at Northrop Grumman as a defense contractor while I was pursuing my masters degree. It fit my life balance requirements at the time because it wasn't very challenging and I could have some flexibility around my hours.

Cons

There was really no chance for advancement unless you grew business. Also, because I was out at a customer site....virtually no management had visibility into my successes aside from my direct manager who wasn't that great.

Communication needs to be improved especially when you have such a large amount of people out in the field. In addition, career development for employees needs improvement as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman