Northrop Grumman

Be wary!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Newport News, VA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Newport News, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I worked at the Newport News sector...most managers were very flexible when it comes to time off or coming in early/later. That's what keeps a lot of folks there. Most of the folks there are very friendly and helpful if you have any questions.

Cons

Good ol' boy/girl network. Only the ones that management likes has a chance of getting promoted, and then it is done in secret. Very poor merit increases. No bonus for non-management. Even though they claim they let you go in any direction you want to go in, they are very quick to pigeonhole you into one thing. A lot of the older folks are eligible for retirement and there will be a huge brain drain in the next few years. On the other end, they can't keep the younger folks around b/c either they don't want to deal with the old technology or they know they will not be promoted. Very hard to get training.

Stop listening to middle management and go directly to the folks at the bottom that are actually doing the work. Don't gather them all up in a room and expect someone to speak out about it.

1862 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

A good DoD contractor.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

There are many exciting projects to work on for NG and job security is very good. Salary and benefits are OK. The people there are smart and professional. I have a particularly good management but that cannot be said for the company as a whole.

Cons

Lots of red tape to cut through in order to get trivial things done. Lots of process to follow that can be counter productive. Contractors are not treated as well as employees. For example they have cubicles on the other side of the building. Environment is dull.

Close your office door. We don't want to hear it.

Northrop Grumman is a top tier company that brings in the best and the brightest.

Current Employee - Subcontracts Manager in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Subcontracts Manager in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

There's a lot of pride in our line of work. It's also a top tier company- they only hire the best. Compensation is excellent as well as the benefits. This is a great place to start a career- it gives you a GREAT foundation.

Cons

With any large company there's a lot of inertia. Change happens very slowly and requires 110% buy-in from upper and middle management.

Indecision wastes tons and tons of money. All the stakeholders need to be involved when it comes to "upper level" decision making. VPs and directors cannot simply "rain down" their will/wish upon the middle management and general work force.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman