There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Decent Place to Work

Current Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Reston, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

From what I understand experiences can very greatly depending on the project. I'm fortunate to work at a project where everyone has their own office, there is an annual bonus of 10-15%, and we can work from home one day a week. Also, there is hardly any over time. I don't have to carry a pager or cell phone. They do pay for training but it does depend on how much we have in the budget for it. I think the pay is very good compared to other similar positions but it may be unique to the project I'm on.

Cons

The good experiences I have are not company wide. Not every project gets the same benefits that I get on my project. In many cases, you could be working in a cubicle, not allowed to do any telecommuting, and working over time. It's completely dependent on the project. They do allow you to purchase up to an extra week of vacation but both your sick leave and your vacation time come out of the same bucket. The only company sponsored fun event is the Christmas party and it's nothing spectacular. I do work in a group where we rarely work overtime so I'm fortunate.

They promote based on political reasons and personal likes/dislikes rather than ability. At least that's what I've seen. Also, even when people are completely imcompetent, they're scared to fire them because of lawsuits.

reviews filtered by
  1. No employer is perfect, but this one is better than most

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

depends on your group, but for the most part, a lot of the typical big corporation politics is kept to a minimum- do your job, tell someone if you don't have what you need to do your job, keep your manager happy, and he/she will keep you happy...very straightforward place

Cons

very, very big company, sometimes easy to get lost in the shuffle, or difficult to find someone who is an expert in XYZ because they may be in another building, or another state, or even another country

more frequent communication from up above would be helpful

Employee retention is a huge problem, less than three years for new hires.

Current Employee - Engineer V in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Engineer V in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I work on projects that are interesting and I have minimal supervision. I am employed Northrop Grumman only because my previous employer was purchased by Northrop Grumman.

Cons

Senior management is feathering their beds at the expense of the employee. Changes in policies and procedures that take from the employee and give to the company. Senior management is extremely insecure as witnessed by three reorganizations in two and one-half months. I was employed by a small company that got gobbled up by NGC and had experienced the benefit of working for a small company. New hires tend to be over worked and not given challenging work. With supervision the work challenges could be increased.

They should realize that their employees are NOT stupid. Thinly veiled changes that take from the employee are not appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman