There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

NGIT is a strong, stable company that works hard to remain competitive and retain its employees.

Current Employee - Program Control Accountant in Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Program Control Accountant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

They offer a great benefits package including 401K with employee match, pension, health insuarance choices, dental insurance, vision plan, paid vacation and floating holoidays and education assistance. Salaries seem competetive. Decent entry level salary and the company works hard to retain new employees by offering mentoring programs and other networking events/groups. It is also a solid, stable and respectable employer. The government contracting industry is a safe industry to be in right now in terms of job stability, especially in the IT field. Regardless of what administration takes office there will continue to be a strong demand for IT government contracts and NGIT is prepared to meet that need.

Cons

What is probably the biggest downside of working at northrop grumman is being 1 of 130,000 employees. The company is absolutely huge, and spans across many states, and some countries. This massive size is largely the result of a large series of mergers and aquisitions of smaller companies. At times this creates a disunity between workgroups within the same company, but the upside is that the company has already made great strides to unite the company as one by streamlining organizations and processes. Another downside is that at much of northrop, the government is the customer, and this at times creates more work and more beaurocracy to deal with.

Advice to Management

Conduct surveys to get employee feedback about how policies and procedures are affecting day to day work. What works in one part of the company may not work everywhere.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Employee retention is a huge problem, less than three years for new hires.

Current Employee - Engineer V in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Engineer V in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

I work on projects that are interesting and I have minimal supervision. I am employed Northrop Grumman only because my previous employer was purchased by Northrop Grumman.

Cons

Senior management is feathering their beds at the expense of the employee. Changes in policies and procedures that take from the employee and give to the company. Senior management is extremely insecure as witnessed by three reorganizations in two and one-half months. I was employed by a small company that got gobbled up by NGC and had experienced the benefit of working for a small company. New hires tend to be over worked and not given challenging work. With supervision the work challenges could be increased.

Advice to Management

They should realize that their employees are NOT stupid. Thinly veiled changes that take from the employee are not appreciated.

2. Decent Place to Work

Current Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Reston, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

From what I understand experiences can very greatly depending on the project. I'm fortunate to work at a project where everyone has their own office, there is an annual bonus of 10-15%, and we can work from home one day a week. Also, there is hardly any over time. I don't have to carry a pager or cell phone. They do pay for training but it does depend on how much we have in the budget for it. I think the pay is very good compared to other similar positions but it may be unique to the project I'm on.

Cons

The good experiences I have are not company wide. Not every project gets the same benefits that I get on my project. In many cases, you could be working in a cubicle, not allowed to do any telecommuting, and working over time. It's completely dependent on the project. They do allow you to purchase up to an extra week of vacation but both your sick leave and your vacation time come out of the same bucket. The only company sponsored fun event is the Christmas party and it's nothing spectacular. I do work in a group where we rarely work overtime so I'm fortunate.

Advice to Management

They promote based on political reasons and personal likes/dislikes rather than ability. At least that's what I've seen. Also, even when people are completely imcompetent, they're scared to fire them because of lawsuits.