Northrop Grumman

www.northropgrumman.com

Bad Management at its Absolute Worst

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Avondale, LA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Avondale, LA

Pros

Northrop Grumman is one of only a few shipyards in the country that build large military vessels. The opportunities for this company to become the premier leader of its kind are endless. It has many acres for ship manufacturing, lots of technical talent, three sites in three different states (allowing for easy employee exchange), and a well-developed industry. There are a few good managers. Mike Petters has just recently assumed leadership. So far I like what I see, but unfortunately he has a very long way to go to improve morale and to mitigate the effects of past wrongs.

Cons

The management is the absolute worst I've ever seen. Incompetence is rampant, especially at the managerial level. There's an "ostritch with head stuck in the sand" attitude regarding HR matters. The corporate investment management (e.g., 401K) is suspect. Overhead is in the triple digits, percentagewise. Last but not least, the southern culture associated with this shipyard seems to affect how managers treat employees, which is to say, racism and discrimination (racial and gender) are simply out of control. There is no such thing as equal opportunity here. I have a master's degree in engineering, yet I'm never allowed to perform engineering duties. I feel as if I'm collecting a welfare check, and it's intensely depressing. Here, people are outcast if they don't follow convention. It's business the old way, or no way. Managers are paid incredibly exorbitant salaries and bonuses. Managers do NOT communicate well with employees. My manager hasn't spoken to me in months. MONTHS! Managers here still yell and scream at us, and denounce us based on lies told by immediate supervisory personnel. We are treated worse than prisoners.

Start empowering your employees. You paid for our education, but won't allow us to use what we've learned to help the company...You must change this. Stop covering up the indiscretions of your managers. Start treating us equally, regardless of race or gender. Start monitoring the management of individual employees to ensure that each employee is being used to his or her full potential, and to ensure that each employee is being treated fairly. Start LISTENING to our concerns, and taking an active part in empowering us and making postive changes that can benefit this shipyard. Stop screaming at us! WE ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN! Reorganize HR so that it is effective. Right now HR is simply a total waste of time...It's like the fox watching the chicken coop. Start giving us an equal opportunity to excel, please! Also, start mandating management training for all managers!!!!

Other reviews for Northrop Grumman

We have great potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

This is a well-established aerospace company. There is good opportunity for job growth and advancement via the tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Often office politics at the mid-to-top levels interferes with productivity. Too much posturing and taking credit for the work of others. We should try not to create a "group think," mentality by having the same people in every meeting.

Get the right people on the bus and get the wrong people off the bus. People are most certainly our greatest asset and it is great to see that striving to acknowledge this.

NGIT-Some interesting work but the company's nothing special

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Aurora, CO

Pros

Leading edge work, with the ability to do things important for the country. You can work on things that you won't find out in the commercial world and have a chance to make a difference in protecting America. There are a lot of good people who are hard working and are pleasant to be around. You often get to work with a mix of other contractors and government people, which allows for a different experience than being insulated inside the "company culture". There are some reasonble benefits like discounts on merchandise and services as well as educational opportunities, depending upon your location and your managment.

Cons

Giant Buerocracy
    Too many ex-government hired for their connections rather than their abilities

Share the wealth
    Keep cutting the benefits and the good people will leave

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!