Bad Management at its Absolute Worst

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Avondale, LA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Avondale, LA

Pros

Northrop Grumman is one of only a few shipyards in the country that build large military vessels. The opportunities for this company to become the premier leader of its kind are endless. It has many acres for ship manufacturing, lots of technical talent, three sites in three different states (allowing for easy employee exchange), and a well-developed industry. There are a few good managers. Mike Petters has just recently assumed leadership. So far I like what I see, but unfortunately he has a very long way to go to improve morale and to mitigate the effects of past wrongs.

Cons

The management is the absolute worst I've ever seen. Incompetence is rampant, especially at the managerial level. There's an "ostritch with head stuck in the sand" attitude regarding HR matters. The corporate investment management (e.g., 401K) is suspect. Overhead is in the triple digits, percentagewise. Last but not least, the southern culture associated with this shipyard seems to affect how managers treat employees, which is to say, racism and discrimination (racial and gender) are simply out of control. There is no such thing as equal opportunity here. I have a master's degree in engineering, yet I'm never allowed to perform engineering duties. I feel as if I'm collecting a welfare check, and it's intensely depressing. Here, people are outcast if they don't follow convention. It's business the old way, or no way. Managers are paid incredibly exorbitant salaries and bonuses. Managers do NOT communicate well with employees. My manager hasn't spoken to me in months. MONTHS! Managers here still yell and scream at us, and denounce us based on lies told by immediate supervisory personnel. We are treated worse than prisoners.

Advice to Management

Start empowering your employees. You paid for our education, but won't allow us to use what we've learned to help the company...You must change this. Stop covering up the indiscretions of your managers. Start treating us equally, regardless of race or gender. Start monitoring the management of individual employees to ensure that each employee is being used to his or her full potential, and to ensure that each employee is being treated fairly. Start LISTENING to our concerns, and taking an active part in empowering us and making postive changes that can benefit this shipyard. Stop screaming at us! WE ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN! Reorganize HR so that it is effective. Right now HR is simply a total waste of time...It's like the fox watching the chicken coop. Start giving us an equal opportunity to excel, please! Also, start mandating management training for all managers!!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

1. "B" - good potential, needs improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

NGES tries to build a team towards long-term objectives, versus the typical short-term hire-for-the-current-contract-at-hand narrowsightedness of most defense contractors

Cons

It's a company of engineers for engineers... Most others are 2nd class employees unless you're related to people in high places or connected to the Old Boy Network of Westinghouse alumni... A mere cog in a giant machine...

Advice to Management

Sincere thanks for the efforts to balance work/life... Growth and opportunity should not be determined by luck and who you know... The middle and senior managers who ride us like rented mules to get their quarterly bonuses forget that we work for MONEY too. The growing disparity between the way workers' increasingly poorer families live and their's should be an embarrassment.

One Northrop Grumman

Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

It's a large company so there are opportunities, in other words, you can apply for other jobs within the organization. The work can be interesting because usually no expense is spared regarding software licenses, software tools etc. since the taxpayers are paying for the costs. Like all of the big government contractors NGIT will pay for any work-related tuition costs for those who pursue further education.

Cons

Northrop is designed to benefit the executives at the expense of the persons who are doing the actual work. Executives receive bonuses based on projects that fall under their jurisdiction when they have never contributed anything to a project. The majority of engineers have never met or even know the name of the executive that they fall under. The employees are taken for granted and unappreciated by all levels of management because management is only concerned with pleasing his or her own boss.

Advice to Management

Get out and introduce yourself to the folks who are actually generating the revenue for the company. You might want to really shock your fellow employees by showing up at project sites after 5:00 PM to watch real work getting done. Make it a rule that you have to have written some code before you can manage software engineers.