Northside Hospital

There are newer employer reviews for Northside Hospital

RN

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Northside Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best Women's Services in the South. Oppurtunities to grow and advance..FMLA, short term disability, long term disability, 401 K

Cons

Attendance policies and some benefits vary per department. Insurance is not as good as some hospitals. Medical floors are almost always full and understaffed. Poor lighting in parking garage. Worker's Comp after injury is not user friendly. No sick days all days are PTO, FMLA kicks in after being out for 2 weeks.

Take care of emploees, work more on team building, don't accept sub-standard work from some and then demand others to pick up the slack.

89 Other Employee Reviews for Northside Hospital (View Most Recent)

New Nurse Orientation in Family Centered Care at Northside in Atlanta

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Northside Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Opportuniy, as a new RN, to get great experience in Women's Health

Cons

Orientation is misleading. You are strongly advised to ask for help from your clinicians as needed, however, each clinician gives you completely different information. You are expected to attend class, take tests, learn the floor routine, and take a full load of patients, 4-5 couplets, on your own by week 3-4. This can be overwhelming for any nurse, especially a new nurse. The worst part is that you sit in class for hours listening to how important it is to be supportive, & non judgmental, & to help one another when in fact, your being treated like you are still in nursing school, and that your time off is not your own. Your schedule is constantly changed at the last minute, which makes child care very difficult.. I was so excited to work here, but I'm now thinking I made a mistake. We may be new nurses, but we should be treated with respect. We should also not be afraid to ask for help from the orientation staff which is supossed to be there to help us. We take a test after we are hired that we must pass to continue, and then we have to take another test while we are in orientation to stay on. Orientaton is a time to learn and work as a nurse with a preceptor so that you are prepared to be on your own. Testing should be used to identify areas in which the new employee may require more instruction, it should not be punitive or used to fail. If a new employee is not given a fair opportunity to learn during orientation, it is not the new hire that has failed, it is the orientation staff who has failed the new hire as well as the organization. Orientation is costly, especially when the end result is the inability to retain the new employee.

Keep in touch with the people you are responsible for. Make sure they are doing what's best for all new employees. Remind them that their role is to help facilitate the new hire, so that they want to continue to work there way after orientation. An organization and a strong effective manager is only successful if the new employees they hire are set up to succeed, not fail. Communication is always important. If you expect a new nurse to educate her patients by providing good communication, she must also receive good communication from her facilitators.

Bad Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Northside Hospital

Pros

The biweekly check pays the bills.

Cons

No one cares about how well you preform. All anyone cares about is how well you can kiss up.

Start treating your most productive employees with respect

There are newer employer reviews for Northside Hospital