Northwestel

www.nwtel.ca

NorthwesTel...The Little Bell Canada of the North

Product Manager (Current Employee) Yellowknife, YT (Canada)

ProsThe experience of working in the far north. It is amazing that this company can provide dial-tone and Internet services to some of the most remote places in the Arctic. If you like technology and dealing with complex problems, this is the company for you. Working for NorthwesTel provides a work experience that is truly unique. Plus you'll be paying some of the lowest income taxes in Canada and if you're smart with your cash, you can make some good coin and leave the north with some change in your pocket. If you're thinking about moving north, buy a warm coat.

ConsNorthwesTel is trying to implement company wide changes. Until the dust settles, (in about 1-2 years), I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as you would be joining a company that is going through total confusion. The main problem is the senior / executive leadership team. Basically, none of the people are leaders and the simply don't get it. Even when the spend time and money to develop leadership skills, it works for about a month then they all revert back to being a bunch of idiots. Outside of poor leadership, they company needs to clean out the old deadwood and replace people with IP skills and experience working in the telecom industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another job and make room for some new management with a proven record of success. You just don't get it and I don't have any faith that you'll ever get it. Give up now and hopefully someone else can turn this ship around. Accept the blame for the problems at the company and stop trying to push the blame to the middle management ranks.

Challenging and fast paced career in a beautiful location!

Product Manager (Current Employee) Whitehorse, KW (Canada)

I have been working at Northwestel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: People, collaboration, interesting work, can personally drive change even as… Cons: If you don't like change, don't bother applying. My work… Advice to Senior Management: Need to value hard to find technical, engineering talent and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A company in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Northwestel full-time

Pros: Being located in the North, Northwestel is a large employer by comparison to other local companies. At the same time, it is… Cons: Northwestel is a company in transition due to ongoing changes in the competitive… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Northwestel.

Worked for Northwestel? Contribute to the Community!