Opportunity for Impact

Current Employee - Director  in  Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Commitment to the Policyowners
Long term focus
Stable company - no fear of layoffs
Highly competent senior leadership
Opportunity for impact and growth

Cons

Conservative
Highly collaborative environment can make change slow

Other Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

It was hard work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

It is completely self-reliant, if you work hard, you will make a lot of money, if you don't you will starve.

Cons

It is completely self-reliant and if you hit a dead end in sales, you won't have any money.

Management is good and supportive

Worst Financial Decision I've Ever Made

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

I received offers from other places, one of which I took, while at Northwestern.
    Northwestern Mutual looks good on a Resume.
    That is about it for the Pros.

Cons

Management is terrible, very poor at motivating people. They talk new reps up and talk about management possibilities, then start tearing you down when production slows. If you are not from the area you are going to be working in, I strongly recommend not taking on this job. It was the worse financial decision I have made so far in my life. I came out with debt that I did not want and Northwestern is still finding ways to nickel and dime me now that I'm out. I'm getting charged for things that are no longer in my control. I strongly recommed passing on this opportunity unless you are just using it to get into the industry and get other offers.

Negative feedback does not motivate too many people. The management style at Northwestern is very synical and not supportive or encouraging. Management questioning your integrity while you are losing money working for you is not the way to help employees out. You need to give new representatives more freedom to learn the ropes and more direction on products and how to succeed versus trying to put fear into reps. I know several reps that have come and gone at Northwestern. It was sad to see the talent I saw wasted at Northwestern.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!