There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Can't imagine myself elsewhere...

Current Employee - Director of Selection in Fort Wayne, IN
Current Employee - Director of Selection in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

This is such a solid company with multiple accolades, and I am so proud to work here. We have a great company and office culture - we have a young, successful office full of driven, excited people. Our representatives are convicted about their daily work, and are truly interested in clients' best interests. Our leadership team offers solid accountibility and desires to see new and veteran resresentatives succeed.

Cons

Lack of one-on-one assistance in implementing recruiting initiatives. We have multiple offices recruiting on various campuses, which confuses people in career services - we need a home office-directed structure.

Advice to Management

Please develop a leadership path for recruiters, and hold all offices accountible to running a LEAD program.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Company, Great People!

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

You really feel you're a part of a family working here. Everybody's very respectful of one another, even if they don't necessarily agree with each other, and everyone understands when work needs to be done. Nobody really slacks off because we're all in this together, so everyone puts forth their best efforts to accomplish their jobs. I am especially proud to tell people who I work for, and they seem like they genuinely want to do the right thing for their employees and customers.

Cons

The pay is a bit below average compared with other similar jobs in the area, but their benefits more than make up for it.

Advice to Management

Continue to want to know what people think about the company, and continue to get feedback from lower-level employees. Yes, Interns too!

Don't Join Northwestern Mutual Unless You Have Enough Money To Live For 1 Year Without A Paycheck

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is a top notch company. Northwestern Mutual prides itself on the idea of Mutual Respect. This "Respect" is not only for its employees and financial representatives but also for its policy owners. Northwestern Mutual calls itself the "Policy Owners Company." You will never have to appologize for Northwestern Mutual because Northwestern Mutual always does the right thing. It is a company you can be proud to work for. Northwestern Mutual has been voted the Most Admired Company for 26 straight years by its peers in the financial world in Fortune Magazine. The other great thing about working for Northwestern Mutual is the Work/Life Balance. The ability to work your own schedule allows a financial representative to attend important family events, help out at your children's school, or take that vacation you have planned without having to worry about the "boss" making you stay for a big meeting. Northwestern Mutual also has a sales training program that is second to none. Even if a career with Northwestern Mutual does not work out, the training you receive will be invaluable in any future endeavor.

Cons

A financial representative at Northwestern Mutual is a contracted employee and is paid strictly on commission. This makes it very difficult for someone who does not have a lot of savings to get through the first few years of small commission checks. Most sales will take 60-120 days from first sales call to actually getting compensated and this long lag time creates a lot of hardship for financial representatives who don't have any savings to turn to. Another issue with Northwestern Mutual is their harsh underwriting. Many times you will submit an application and think that you have made a pretty good commission only to learn that your case has been highly rated (usually involving a much higher premium that your client is unwilling to pay) or straight up declined. These cases are disheartening and there is zero financial support from Northwestern Mutual if this occurs.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should start financial representatives with a salary to help them survive the lean years in the beginning and then slowly transition them to full commission status.