Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

You have to start with your own personal contacts

Current Employee - College Financial Representative
Current Employee - College Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

If you are good at it, you will make a lot of money. I learned a lot in training. It is a good experience.

Cons

It is difficult to get clients when you are so young. I used up my network too quickly. You have to be really busy to make any kind of money.

Keep up the good training. Offer to take some interns with you to some of your meeting so they can learn the ropes more quickly without having to burn through some of their potential clients.

1620 Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual (View Most Recent)

Concerned Former Agent

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

$4,000 sign on/training pay. Then pay is based soley on commission.

Cons

I worked as a representative and sold life insurance policies to my family and close friends. I left the company recently and assigned new agents to my clients. An insurance company, by law, has 60 days to deliver a policy once a check has been recieved. All of the clients I had signed within that 60 day period prior to my leaving the company were never sent policies and were continously charged monthly after the 60 day legal time period. When one of the clients inquired about her policy, she was informed she would need to sign on for an "extention" to continue the application of her policy. The insurance company then contacted me to demand collection of the commission from the "lapsed policy". I contacted the other friends and family to see if this was an isolated incident and all of the policies signed within the 60 day time period had expired but all the clients were still being charged. I then contacted agents at the company to see if this had happened to them and was informed of numberous employee complaints about lapsing policies due to the company's negligence in delivering the actual polices. Agents are having commissions taken monthly for these errors and clients are being charged monthly for insurance products that are void to them. Don't let this happen to you and your clients!

Mediocre

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

You create your own work schedule and basically run your own business. Much more freedom than working at other places.

Cons

The downside is that the salary is minimal, but because it is a sales job, compensation is based on performance.

I think management does a decent job prepping new hires and teaching them tools of the trade. Decent training program as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual