Hard work, awesome impact

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Downers Grove, IL
Current Employee - Financial Representative in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Income potential... tremendous impact on the people we help.... If you're in this business for the right reasons, it can be a very rewarding career. How many people do you know that would like to have their own business? How many people actually go for it? In my experience, there aren't many who can take that leap of faith. Northwestern Mutual helps you build a business from the ground up with proven methods that have made this company the most admired in the financial world.

Cons

It's hard work getting a business going... alot of sharp people can't stick with it long enough.

Advice to Management

Help us with the costs of hiring an assistant.

reviews filtered by

Excellent, honest, admirable leader.

Current Employee - Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Stable workplace and excellent working environment.

Cons

Extremely slow advancement & salary increases.

Advice to Management

Look within the organization to tap into existing talent. Many individuals have worked in the same position for years and in some cases, that creates a situation for stale management and leadership practices. GROW the staff!! Pay individuals commensurate with their talent. It is a known fact within the investment community that NM is a stable place to work but if you care to pursue a comfortable financial future, it will be difficult doing so working here. Consider doing things differently than the way NM has always done it! Many, many times, individuals have been told (by management that has been here for 20+ years) that advancement in this company can only be achieved through long-term dedication to your position. After 7 years and 2 Master's Degrees, I, like many of my counterparts, are stuck in the same position with considerably increased talent to bring to the table yet we're held back by the lack of advancement in the area we have been groomed to be 'experts' in and are told that getting promoted in your own position "doesn't happen here @ NM". The only way to advance is to either leave and come back or change your career internally.

2. Unlimited personal and financial growth for the highly motivated.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Freedom, company values, entrepenurial, and unlimited earning potential. Northwestern truly personifys doing the right thing in the business world. I have never seen a company bend over backwards to take care of its clients and do what is in their best interest like Northwestern. No matter where you go in the country, you encounter the same selfless behavior. Those all too familiar with corporate America will think it is too good to be true. A classy group of highly motivated, intelligent, successful, and giving people.

Cons

This career is not for everyone. You must be a self starter and work extremely hard to build your business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!