There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Challenging but great experience for the right person.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Financial Representative in McLean, VA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Great training, experience, and education in areas of sales for Insurance and financial services. Advancement within the organization is non-biased and based on performance results. If successful early in your career, one builds a strong foundation which can ensure a successful career. NMFN provides you with all the tools and knowledge to succeed, but it is up to the individual to perform. Great People

Cons

Very Challenging building a practice without a natural market, and compensation is commissioned based. I would recommend having adequate savings prior to building a practice and have a clear understanding of the challenges you are getting into. Expect to put in a great deal of sweat and equity into your early activity before having results. High turnover but those that are successful within their first couple of years do very well for themselves.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is very effective at setting expectations, managing performance, and supporting new Financial Representatives. They are great motivators and have a great deal of experience; It was productive working with them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company to work for 1st class training that will serve you well long after you leave.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

Excellent Training and compensation compared to competitors.

Cons

Completely commission based compensation. The Company only truly incentivises insurance. If you are more investment oriented you may not like it.

Advice to Management

A small salary for new reps would help many people with the transition to comission based compensation.

2. A great place to work.

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

It's a conservative company that makes sound decisions. It may take them a while, but you won't find any silly ideas getting approved. I believe in the company's ideals and purpose. I am proud of our company and our reputation, and I work to continue that legacy.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be annoying. Within the Information Systems department is seems that managers were promoted above their level of competence. They needed a promotion to something, so bang! Manager. That has hurt the department as a whole.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing, and we believe in this company and your strategy.