Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com
  www.northwesternmutual.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual provided me a great internship with all the tools to help me become sucessful.

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - Financial Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Provide great support for their interns. Experienced reps are very helpful. #1 Ranked Company. Top 10 Internship in Finance

Cons

Difficult to become your own boss at age 21. Must work extremely hard to be successful. Work can be frustrating and stagnant at times

Nothing. They were great. Grand Rapids office built a great internship program.

1322 Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual (View Most Recent)

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Lawyer  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Lawyer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent ethics - committed to doing the right thing for the policyowners
    Fine salaries - not at the top but we have great amenities not found everywhere
    Stable environment - being a mutual company means we can make decisions for the long term
    Historical commitment to employees - after the policyowners, the company is committed to its employees and to treating them fairly

Cons

The company is attracting excellent people and needs to be more resourceful in providing them with opportunities to grow and remain challenged.

Think "outside the box" about how to keep your excellent employees engaged and growing. It will only benefit the company.

Rollercoaster ride-- big ups and tough lows

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work with people on an individual basis to achieve their financial goals for a better future by design. If you're a people person, you are constantly interacting with clients and potential clients. You are not working behind a computer all day because you are expected to be out of the office meeting with people.

Cons

If you aren't a self starter or aren't disciplined, this job isn't for you. I've watched too many people who have come in who wouldn't ever do what they were told to do to be successful. They quickly found their way out the door. There is a high turnover rate, and that is because it is a tough job and 100% commission based.

In the beginning, there needs to be more product training. As well as a sales position, this is seen as an advisor position and clients and potential clients want to be able to talk about challenges in the industry as a whole.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!