There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Amazing opportunity if you can survive!

Former Intern - College Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN
Former Intern - College Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Income potential, work/life balance, rewarding career helping people, great company culture and recognition.

Cons

Tough job with a high turnover rate, you will make it if you continue to see enough people each week which means you must always be prospecting for potential clients, thought of as a financial advisor, but you are really just selling life insurance, period. After you gain enough clients roughly 3-5 years in it may be possible to start using investment services and wealth management.

Great training program on the sales aspect of the business as calling, closing, prospecting, but need to do more with financial training so reps better understand the products, estate tax laws, etc.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Experience, but relative

Current Intern - Financial Representative Intern in Richmond, VA
    Current Intern - Financial Representative Intern in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

My internship at Northwestern was one of the best summers I have ever had. You can make a lot of good money meet a lot of great people. The networking opportunities of this internship is probably the most prominent attribute to this internship. The development is great and go to Milwaukee for the Annual meeting. You will not regret it.

Cons

The experience is quite relative. Some offices are the total opposite of my own experience. Try to get a feel for the people during your interview. Be prepared to dial old friends and family trying to sell them things. However, NFMN products are superb, so it was easy for me to have a good attitude about selling to people I am close to.

Keep up the good work.

2. Northwestern Mutual

Former Employee - Associate Financial Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Financial Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely supportive company that helps new agents get their footing in the industry. A leader in financial strength that agents can rely on when telling potential clients about the benefits of investing with them.

Cons

Dealing with a uninformed public about the benefits of life insurance.

More opportunities for new agents to have access to successful agents.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual