Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com
  www.northwesternmutual.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

The experience I gained there is invaluable and will help me in so many facets of my life.

Former Employee - Financial Representative
Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Learning about the world of finance.
-The network and relationships you build
-Complete autonomy of how you run your practice but with world-class training and help

Cons

-100% commissions-It's awesome when you have a great month.....not so nice when you have a good month
-too much emphasis on numbers and quotas as opposed to individual development

Not every one is driven by the same things or can be managed or inspired the same way. Take into consideration the varying personalities and work on people's individual strengths and weaknesses

1498 Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual (View Most Recent)

Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous amount of time and money put into personal development and training. Has one of the best internship programs developed for the financial services industry.

Cons

Hard recruiting environment-hard to attract good candidates, expect you to refer people to the career or rely on reps to refer you candidate and that doesn't happen easily.

Stop being so discriminatory when it comes to hiring recruiters. By far, the vast majority of recruiters are young, attractive women and their is a clear bias by management to keep it this way.

Uncomfortable

Current Employee - Intern in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of college educated people
    Potential to make good money
    Office was in great location.

Cons

where do I begin?
    1. No pay unless you sell, Sell, SELL! (mostly to friends and family)

2. Management is offense, sexist, potentially racist, no diversity (At all), prayers at annual meetings, and ultra conservative atmosphere.

3. Company is behind the times and is biased on age. If your young, you're seen as a bottom line, worthless and incompetent unless you sell. If you sell your seen as a highly respectable, intelligent, worthy individual with a bright career.

4.No chance of getting into management

5. most employees need to work a second job just to support this job.

6. your constantly lied to.

If your planning on joining Northwestern mutual, you should a.) have lots of money or a supportive spouse that works full time to support your job (work long hours and bring home $0),
    b.) lots of relatives and friends who are flush with cash and who blindly follow your advice
    c.) Ultra-conservative (tea party member encouraged)
    d.) dumb enough to say yes to "no salary or benefits until you sell at least 10 policies)

Also you cannot be swayed by any other reputable firm because the insurance industry is highly competitive for employees and will take anyone.

Exactly how old are most of your employees? when I attended the last annual meeting I was astonished to see that most of the employees (the vast majority) where well over 60!. What are you going to do when they retire Northwestern Mutual?!

your employees are getting older and older and no new blood is coming in! Figure out a solution or your company will implode on itself!

Do you realize that myself and the other intern were the only ones in that office that was under the age of 40!? and we both quite! so now what!? you need to figure this out!

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual