Northwestern Mutual

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Wealth management intern

Former Intern - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

standard wealth management internship, got to see some interesting things in the business but mostly intern work

Cons

not too technical or learning new skills, but you get to be in a corporate setting and sometimes you get to contribute

try to create more opportunities for interns (maybe paid?)

1610 Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual (View Most Recent)

I became a Life Insurance agent and worked to build a book of business.

Former Intern - Financial Representative Intern in Columbia, SC
    Former Intern - Financial Representative Intern in Columbia, SC

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture. A lot of young motivated people that will go out of their way to try to help you with your business.

Cons

Basically no base pay. Its a ton of work to start your own practice and it doesnt pay off unless you can last 5+ years

Be more selective with interns and put more effort into training them.

Uncomfortable

Current Intern - Intern in Spokane, WA
    Current Intern - Intern in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of college educated people
    Potential to make good money
    Office was in great location.

Cons

where do I begin?
    1. No pay unless you sell, Sell, SELL! (mostly to friends and family)

2. Management is offense, sexist, potentially racist, no diversity (At all), prayers at annual meetings, and ultra conservative atmosphere.

3. Company is behind the times and is biased on age. If your young, you're seen as a bottom line, worthless and incompetent unless you sell. If you sell your seen as a highly respectable, intelligent, worthy individual with a bright career.

4.No chance of getting into management

5. most employees need to work a second job just to support this job.

6. your constantly lied to.

If your planning on joining Northwestern mutual, you should a.) have lots of money or a supportive spouse that works full time to support your job (work long hours and bring home $0),
    b.) lots of relatives and friends who are flush with cash and who blindly follow your advice
    c.) Ultra-conservative (tea party member encouraged)
    d.) dumb enough to say yes to "no salary or benefits until you sell at least 10 policies)

Also you cannot be swayed by any other reputable firm because the insurance industry is highly competitive for employees and will take anyone.

Exactly how old are most of your employees? when I attended the last annual meeting I was astonished to see that most of the employees (the vast majority) where well over 60!. What are you going to do when they retire Northwestern Mutual?!

your employees are getting older and older and no new blood is coming in! Figure out a solution or your company will implode on itself!

Do you realize that myself and the other intern were the only ones in that office that was under the age of 40!? and we both quite! so now what!? you need to figure this out!

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual