Northwestern Mutual

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Uncomfortable

Current Intern - Intern in Spokane, WA
Current Intern - Intern in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of college educated people
Potential to make good money
Office was in great location.

Cons

where do I begin?
1. No pay unless you sell, Sell, SELL! (mostly to friends and family)

2. Management is offense, sexist, potentially racist, no diversity (At all), prayers at annual meetings, and ultra conservative atmosphere.

3. Company is behind the times and is biased on age. If your young, you're seen as a bottom line, worthless and incompetent unless you sell. If you sell your seen as a highly respectable, intelligent, worthy individual with a bright career.

4.No chance of getting into management

5. most employees need to work a second job just to support this job.

6. your constantly lied to.

If your planning on joining Northwestern mutual, you should a.) have lots of money or a supportive spouse that works full time to support your job (work long hours and bring home $0),
b.) lots of relatives and friends who are flush with cash and who blindly follow your advice
c.) Ultra-conservative (tea party member encouraged)
d.) dumb enough to say yes to "no salary or benefits until you sell at least 10 policies)

Also you cannot be swayed by any other reputable firm because the insurance industry is highly competitive for employees and will take anyone.

Exactly how old are most of your employees? when I attended the last annual meeting I was astonished to see that most of the employees (the vast majority) where well over 60!. What are you going to do when they retire Northwestern Mutual?!

your employees are getting older and older and no new blood is coming in! Figure out a solution or your company will implode on itself!

Do you realize that myself and the other intern were the only ones in that office that was under the age of 40!? and we both quite! so now what!? you need to figure this out!

1626 Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual (View Most Recent)

Working in Northwestern Mutual

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They provide a lot of support in terms of training and development.

Cons

All insurance company works like this: you are your own boss, you have to rent your own desk even, and you have to pay for everything that you print, your photo copy and everything else. they will try to train you to become a "financial advisor" no matter what.

Ok

Former Intern - Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pros- work as much/as little as you want

Cons

cons- commission only, not a great work environment

provide base pay