Northwestern Mutual

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual - solid company, lackluster as an associate

Current Employee - Associate Wealth Management Advisor in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Associate Wealth Management Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid products and services offered that can compete with many financial advising firms and other top notch insurance companies. Broad resource base for those interested in exploring "LINKNET"

Cons

"Man behind the curtain mentality" - where anything that goes wrong is blamed on the "home office" in Milwaukee. Not a lot of upward mobility as an associate. Limited continuing eduction support (i.e. not allowed to list credentials of CFA, CIMA or other designation if it is not on the "approved list"), too competitive on the numbers/performance metrics where advisors are not always motivated to help one another because they want their "lives, GDCs, and renewals" to stay above the peers, too conservative of a company in all aspects - works well for policy owners, but not competitive from a software/technology perspective

Keep up the good work

1496 Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual (View Most Recent)

Be aware you are starting your own business, and you WILL be asked to sale to friends and family

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture of the company is fantastic. Those who make it in the industry are all great, outgoing, caring individuals. Very professional, upbeat atmosphere. If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential.

Cons

I met the company at a career fair. The recruiters were very professional and sold me on the potential of the position. Throughout the interview process they did inform me that it was a commission based compensation system. They told me that there were weekly stipends and a signing bonus of $4,000 included. HOWEVER, in order to get the stipends unrealistic quotas must be reached, and to get the $4,000 you must meet reach the end of the 15 week training period and have each weekly quota reached. Make sure you understand that you ARE starting your own business, there is no compensation besides commission, and the process to receive your commission is long. Overall, for a new college graduate I would not advise taking this position, unless you have a large network of wealthy adults who you are more than willing to beg them to buy insurance from you.

Great place to work at and excellent job experience

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor

Pros

excellent management and learning experience

Cons

there were no cons at all

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual