Very good place to work

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

It has a very inclusive community which is willing to help you in any way shape or form to benefit you.

Cons

It can be very reptitive and has a tendency to reqquire a conditioned mind as the repitition can catch up to some people.

Other Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Worst internship I have ever signed up for

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Provides standards of a modern work environment.
    The flexibility of any sales based internship provides great scheduling of appointments and activities.

Cons

The biggest problem came from the lack of professionalism. I signed up for the internship with a friend of mine. Even though he already had a job to pay for the 2-15, fingerprints, etc., he knew he would be paid back at the end of the credit cycle. When the cycle became delayed, he stressed the importance of money to pay for his necessities and that he needs the reimbursement soon. However, (I will not disclose the comment) he was made fun of by one of the college unit directors. The joke was directed at him being poor. He ended up quitting, with the company not reimbursing him.

The biggest lack threat to the success of the internship came from the recruiter. Her focus was not to educate us on what was important values in the company but the "goals" that would encourage us to join. Several of us were told that we would be allowed to apply for Series 6 licenses within a certain amount of sales. Of course, this was a lie as we found a statute that would not let anyone apply within a year and a half of joining. One of the many examples of deception tactics use to trick us into the internship.

The standard interview is simply a fake way of the corporation to pose as an internship and not a pyramid scheme. The standards of sales quotas force puts pressure to build contacts for their own clientele. It became clear that the programs goal of teaming us with other financial representatives push no stream value to learning anything but how to improve in selling.

The program's focus should be on exposing the interns to various branches and services. I am aware that Northwestern Mutual has businesses ranging from annuities to wealth management. Allow for interns to be learning from any form of business rather than making calls to bring in customers.

If you're interested in a career in financial services, do not stoop to sleazy insurance sales with Northwestern."

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mutual Company aka not publically traded; policy holders are the shareholders.

Strong financial position, given they were founded in 1857 and also minimize overhead to keep cashflows in portfolio as well as with policy holders.

Cons

No guaranteed money.

High turnover.

Sleaziest of the sleazy sales people get hired and most leave within 6 months. You will be told you are a "financial advisor," however, if you have a clue / business degree / MBA, you should know better based on the comp plan which is exclusive commissions on insurance products and bare bones comp on actual financial planning / investment planning aka being a real financial advisor.

NMFN describes the financial pyramid as risk management, wealth accumulation, and wealth preservation; you will be paid to handle risk management in terms of selling life and disability insurance - you better love being the insurance guy, otherwise, get a job at a used car lot.

Management will want you to do "joint work" aka refer everyone you know and split the sales commissions with someone senior.

Change your business model to encourage training that builds a foundation for a sustainable practice for new reps. If joint work is mandated, a base salary must be offered as long as reps maintain activity that builds toward success.

Turnover ultimately leads to client displeasure; I couldn't recommend New York Life or Mass Mutual more to anyone looking for insurance planning or career work, based on Northwestern's sleazy model to sales.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!