There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Great Company, Tough Start up career

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

If you can handle calling random people you will do well.

Cons

You have to deal with lots of rejection

reviews filtered by
  1. Very good place to work

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

It has a very inclusive community which is willing to help you in any way shape or form to benefit you.

Cons

It can be very reptitive and has a tendency to reqquire a conditioned mind as the repitition can catch up to some people.

2. Worst internship I have ever signed up for

Former Intern - Financial Representative
    Former Intern - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Provides standards of a modern work environment.
    The flexibility of any sales based internship provides great scheduling of appointments and activities.

Cons

The biggest problem came from the lack of professionalism. I signed up for the internship with a friend of mine. Even though he already had a job to pay for the 2-15, fingerprints, etc., he knew he would be paid back at the end of the credit cycle. When the cycle became delayed, he stressed the importance of money to pay for his necessities and that he needs the reimbursement soon. However, (I will not disclose the comment) he was made fun of by one of the college unit directors. The joke was directed at him being poor. He ended up quitting, with the company not reimbursing him.

The biggest lack threat to the success of the internship came from the recruiter. Her focus was not to educate us on what was important values in the company but the "goals" that would encourage us to join. Several of us were told that we would be allowed to apply for Series 6 licenses within a certain amount of sales. Of course, this was a lie as we found a statute that would not let anyone apply within a year and a half of joining. One of the many examples of deception tactics use to trick us into the internship.

The standard interview is simply a fake way of the corporation to pose as an internship and not a pyramid scheme. The standards of sales quotas force puts pressure to build contacts for their own clientele. It became clear that the programs goal of teaming us with other financial representatives push no stream value to learning anything but how to improve in selling.

Advice to Management

The program's focus should be on exposing the interns to various branches and services. I am aware that Northwestern Mutual has businesses ranging from annuities to wealth management. Allow for interns to be learning from any form of business rather than making calls to bring in customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual