Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com
  www.northwesternmutual.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Not a great place to start for a new grad.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Dubuque, IA
Current Employee - Financial Representative in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, comprehensive training, great work environment.

Cons

First of all, don't be too excited if you get an interview, or even an offer from NWM. They will literally take anyone who has any type of college education.
Commission sucks... tough to make any money in your first 1-5 years with the company.
When it comes down to it, this company is full of sales people. They are great with their words and they really sold me on the idea that I could make a lot of money selling insurance. But you have to be realistic and remember that (for the most part), people with life insurance don't need it, and people without it don't want it. It's a tough place to start, especially when you have student loans that need to be repaid. You don't get any kind of guaranteed compensation and even in the best circumstances (for instance, if you sell 20 lives in the first year), you still won't make enough to keep up with your bills.

Throw in some guaranteed compensation for your young grads and you might be able to keep some of them around.

1394 Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual (View Most Recent)

Overall company is solid, district office lacks proper management.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Peoria, IL

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability of company and products is adequate.

Cons

"Be your own boss" means "as long as you do what we ask." Local office lacks sales management and leadership.

Recruit and train good management first, then you will be able to develop younger reps and new-to-the-business advisors that will stick around.

It's not for everyone

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You earn what you think you're worth. You have some flexibility of schedule. It's ever changing, not just a desk job.

Cons

They feed you a bill of goods saying you're "starting your own business" but then they micromanage you. It is a different atmosphere, you need to be a "rah rah" type to fit in. All commission.

The management that I dealt with was not extremely mature. So I would say that it would be helpful to take a more "manager" role rather than a "friend" role.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual