Great Experience

Current Employee - Investment Operations
Current Employee - Investment Operations

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of variety in my job because I work under two different departments. I assist with the investment services for the entire region, in addition to help processing insurance applications, along with helping the new reps with their daily work. I enjoy the obstacles and sharing what I learn with others. There's never a dull day, assuming your doing your job right.

Cons

For me since I work in more than one department, it also means I have more than one person to answer to. Also, my job description was vague so I wasn't completely sure of what my duties were. During the interview, it was my impression that I was assisting with different aspects of the business, not necessary taking over the investment services. I wish that was communicated a little better. Prioritizing becomes tricky at times and also I can get completely different answers on how to do something. Communication is key.

Advice to Management

Have a written out job description with a list of expectations and daily duties. The list can be modified, but ensure that the employee is aware of the changes in their responsibilities.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

1. I had a great experience as an Intern.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern

Pros

great for interns to begin a financial career

Cons

Selling to family and friends

No Starting Salary, Very Misleading

Current Employee - Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have a good network of people to sell insurance to, you may succeed, and there is potential to make a good living 10 years down the road. Fun environment when in the office Good training program which teaches how to sell utilizing tons of role play.

Cons

Very long work days No starting salary. Commission only (They give you $4K after you complete certain tasks and training to hold you over until you start making commissions, but you will find it is very difficult to close the sales with people in a timely manner) Have to sell insurance to friends and family or you will not succeed You have to utilize your own network to sell to and build upon it by constantly asking/prodding people for references Have to pay for all your own travel expenses, which add up very quickly because you will be driving to and from meetings 80% of your day plus paying for meals for you and potential clients I was told I would be working with investments, but all I do is sell insurance. After a while you begin to sell some investment vehicles, but this job runs solely on your ability to sell Life and Disability insurance products, especially for the first 3-5 years. High turnover rate leads to people leaving within there first month very often Most people will not succeed here

Advice to Management

Have a starting salary and just lower the commission rate. This will keep a lot of people around longer. More emphasis on training people with knowledge of the products they sell. And again, give people a starting salary.