Great Experience

Current Employee - Investment Operations
Current Employee - Investment Operations

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of variety in my job because I work under two different departments. I assist with the investment services for the entire region, in addition to help processing insurance applications, along with helping the new reps with their daily work. I enjoy the obstacles and sharing what I learn with others. There's never a dull day, assuming your doing your job right.

Cons

For me since I work in more than one department, it also means I have more than one person to answer to. Also, my job description was vague so I wasn't completely sure of what my duties were. During the interview, it was my impression that I was assisting with different aspects of the business, not necessary taking over the investment services. I wish that was communicated a little better. Prioritizing becomes tricky at times and also I can get completely different answers on how to do something. Communication is key.

Advice to Management

Have a written out job description with a list of expectations and daily duties. The list can be modified, but ensure that the employee is aware of the changes in their responsibilities.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I felt very restrained in my ability to use my skills or advance within the organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are a very profitable organization with a long standing reputation of success in the community.

Cons

The organization verbally states they are open to new opinions and change. However, when given the opportunity, most managers are very resistant of the changes presented to them. There is certain skepticism from many individuals that they don't trust the organization.

A Roller Coaster of an Experience

Current Intern - College Financial Representative
    Current Intern - College Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer fantastic insurance products and give you all the tools you need to succeed in training. They invest plenty of time into ensuring that you are ready to take on a rather challenging internship. There is also a lot of flexibility in the schedule and there is no overbearing supervision. This is great if you know how to get your work done, but I can see it being problematic for some people. It is also very rewarding when you are helping people out.

Cons

The corporate structure is a bit unusual and communications between different offices are not necessarily streamlined. This makes accomplishing some things (getting contracted) rather difficult. Additionally you need to like making phone calls. I didn't know what to expect coming in, but you need to sit in the office and make 100-500 calls a week to set up meetings to ensure you are working and getting paid. Pay is all commission (at least in the early years until you get some management roles). At times when you have lots of meetings, the job is rewarding, but there are other times when you are sitting in the office making calls and that's very boring and not fun. Cold calling blows. The also like you to start with your warm market (people you already know i.e. family, friends, old business partners etc.) and you need to be comfortable asking them to do business with you. If you don't get many referrals you can run out of people to call fast. Don't go into this thinking you are going to manage money, because it takes years to get to that point and the company is best at insurance. That's what they want you focusing on, especially early. Be ready for the emotional ups and downs that accompany this job, people will say no a lot.