Northwestern Mutual
3.6 of 5 1,235 reviews
www.northwesternmutual.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Great, if you want to be a financial advisor.

Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee)
Clayton, MO

ProsThe training program for new interns was very thorough and allowed for beneficial interactions with full-time representatives and advisors. Interns are encouraged to be self-starters, but still receive personalized mentor meetings with the college unit directors and have daily training. This is a great internship to see if sell-side finance is for you.

ConsGetting clients is on you - 100%. The company does not have leads and they espouse a very personal method of selling involving meetings, pumping prospects for more prospects, and then reaching out to them by phone. This is not the job for someone who would feel weird having to talk to a friend about purchasing insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake well-established full-time representatives take interns to one or two meetings with their clients at the beginning of the internship instead of expecting interns to invite the full-timers along to split commissions on any business generated.

Very independent.

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros: You do your business the way you like Cons: You don't get base salary Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Did not fulfill my expectations

College Financial Representative (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for less than a year

Pros: great office experience, licensing is paid for, great location in… Cons: very limited in what financial planning you can do, major… Advice to Senior Management: give interns computers, focus on financial planning rather than insurance… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Northwestern Mutual.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northwestern Mutual CEO John E. Schlifske. All reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees.