Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com

Amazing Opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Portland, OR

Pros

NWM's training is well beyond average. This company goes above and beyond to train their advisors how to not only sell, but build a strong, successful practice that can catar to their client's needs. The amount of life skills that I have picked up during my time at NWM are too many to name. Having the ability to control my own schedule has a value greater than money, and knowing that I control my own destiny gives me the security that I need to care for my family and the people in my community. The culture is amazing, and the amount of community service that individual advisors do, speak greatly to the character of the advisors at NWM.

Cons

You have to actually work. People complain that this is a commission based career. Those are the people who are not willing to take the risk and put themselves out there. If you are doing the right things for your clients, the income will follow. Too many advisors in this industry get paid for putting together plans for their clients that are never actually executed. What is the point of building a financial plan, if you can't even get your client to move forward and do something to take a step forward in their financial lives. So yes, this is a commission based career, and yes that can cause some stress, but it is well worth it, and if you are doing the right things, it will pay off in the future. It has for me, and it has for many others at NWM who are willing to put in the extra work.

Other reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual is a great company with great people. The financial opportunities are limitless.

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Frisco, TX

Pros

Great people and opportunity. You are your own boss

Cons

You have to be the right person for the position. It is definitely difficult to separate work from personal.

Doing right things right

Current Employee - Training Consultant  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is the best company in the city to work for. They are a great member of the community and support the employees community involvement through time and financial contributions. They are a large organization with tons of opportunity; you can completely change your career without leaving the company! We have a young CEO who's looking to make a great culture even better. The new motto, "Let's be a force for good" speaks to every role within the organization, always keeping the best interest of our policy owners at the forefront of every decision we make.

Cons

Being a large organization there tends to be some beaurocracy in place but campaigns are underway to correct that. Work/life balance is mostly good but some areas of the organization don't offer as much flexibilty for work at home or flexible hours. For long time employees benefits are more costly and confusing than in years past but still a very good benefits package.

Allow employees to embrace, implement "new era behaviors". Mistakes can be learning opportunities. Invest in a learning management system for a better training experience/opportunity.

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!