There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

I was an intern financial representative.

Former Intern - Intern Financial Representative
Former Intern - Intern Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It challenged me and sharpened a lot of my skills. The ability to "be my own boss" at a young age was a very unique experience. I enjoyed the fact that I dictated my own outcome.

Cons

The job is completely sales when you get down to it. That aspect should not be ignored. You are expected to produce from the get go, with not much leeway.

reviews filtered by
  1. Doing right things right

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is the best company in the city to work for. They are a great member of the community and support the employees community involvement through time and financial contributions. They are a large organization with tons of opportunity; you can completely change your career without leaving the company! We have a young CEO who's looking to make a great culture even better. The new motto, "Let's be a force for good" speaks to every role within the organization, always keeping the best interest of our policy owners at the forefront of every decision we make.

Cons

Being a large organization there tends to be some beaurocracy in place but campaigns are underway to correct that. Work/life balance is mostly good but some areas of the organization don't offer as much flexibilty for work at home or flexible hours. For long time employees benefits are more costly and confusing than in years past but still a very good benefits package.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to embrace, implement "new era behaviors". Mistakes can be learning opportunities. Invest in a learning management system for a better training experience/opportunity.

Good Experience, they make you feel like it's a million dollar, once in a lifetime opportunity that is unrivaled.

Current Intern - College Financial Representative in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Intern - College Financial Representative in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with very high level professionals in the financial planning sector
    Learn valuable sales skills and people skills
    Experience of a "white collar" career
    Challenging going through the process of beginning

Cons

Management pushes the internship or full-time experience and over-hypes the training, experience, etc.
    Some people in this industry (as in any industry) are shady and desperate for their own survival
    Uncomfortable going through the process of beginning

Advice to Management

Follow through with what you say you're going to do (most higher level reps and managers do a very good job at this so it's surprising when someone doesn't)
    Continue to treat younger reps and interns with attention and respect to nourish them through the beginning stages, not everyone thrives in the dog-eat-dog environment

There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual