There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual was a great company where I learned a great deal about the insurance and sales industries.

Former Intern - Financial Representative
Former Intern - Financial Representative

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern

Pros

Great team environment. Room for personal growth. Make your own schedule but the company keeps you accountable by pushing you to meet certain activity goals. Good compensation for hard work. Management motivates you to acquire additional licenses and certifications.

Cons

To initially succeed you need to put in at least 60 hours a week, preferably more, unless you have a strong natural market. No base salary. Certain minimums must be met before Northwestern will sponsor you to attain basic investments licenses. This makes it hard to do what they want you to do with clients, be a financial planner, without working with other members within the office.

reviews filtered by
  1. A great place to jump start a sales career

Former Intern - Financial Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Intern - Financial Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a very large support network for the type of services offered to client. The mentoring program is also very helpful when you're first learning the ropes. The training is up to par with current market trends and resources available.

Cons

Since it's a commission and bonuses based job, sometimes the business can be wavering and it's hard to pick yourself up from a bad week. Cold calls are not the most pleasant experiences either. You have to quickly develop a no-quitting attitude and tough skin to make it in this business.

2. Intern

Former Employee - College Intern
    Former Employee - College Intern

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had the privilege of interning for a really nice Financial Representative who has let me learn a lot about areas that I want to learn about (databases etc.) while not having to make cold calls.

Cons

Insurance Agent is the primary position offered at the company, so if you are not much of a salesperson, job potential will likely be limited.